Japanese knotweed wine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weed which is rapidly spreading countrywide can apparently be used to make a wine something like rhubarb. I just wondered if anyone had tried it.

Be careful. Like Rhubarb not all is edible and at certain times of the year none is
think i would leave well alone.Besides you won't know if it's been sprayed with herbicides:nono:

I really don't understand the fuss about japanese knotweed. For a start they only brought in one sex so it doesn't spread by seed. And like any other perenial plant you can kill it by regular mowing. So if you have a patch in your garden just convert the area into a lawn and the knotweed will be gone in about 3 years.
When we moved in here about 23 years ago the paddock behind the barn was full of it - about 10 feet tall. We acquired a couple of goats and that was that , gone in a few years...

I really don't understand the fuss about japanese knotweed. For a start they only brought in one sex so it doesn't spread by seed. And like any other perenial plant you can kill it by regular mowing. So if you have a patch in your garden just convert the area into a lawn and the knotweed will be gone in about 3 years.
When we moved in here about 23 years ago the paddock behind the barn was full of it - about 10 feet tall. We acquired a couple of goats and that was that , gone in a few years...

No I don't understand the negative responses either. It is possible to make wine from just about any plant. It's a matter of a) personal taste, and b) is it viable. I never would have considered oak leaf until I tried it. A lot of people make nettle which I tried and dislike. Experimentation is the engine of progress. I'll let you know how I get on - if I'm still alive that is.

Back