Restarting almost complete fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FerretFarts

Reaction score
Hello there.

I am currently making some Elderberry wine from dried berries. started at 1.095 and has been a relatively slow steady ferment. The berries were soaked and heated and crushed before hand to extract the juice. The rest of ingredients:

Extracted Elderberry Juice
2 L Red grape
Dissolved sugar (to 1.095)
1 tsp tartaric
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp nutrient
Lalvin 71b-1122 Yeast

I decided to rack it off the sediment and into a clean dj as I did not really want it sitting on it for too long. Turns out this was a silly mistake (should know better :doh:) as the fermentation has not got going again in about 36hrs since.

SG was about 1.001 when I racked it. I did introduce 1/2 tsp nutrient in the hope it may help sustain the ferment and relocated it to a warmer room (maintaining min 19 deg c temp).

I really had hoped to ferment it to dry or as close as possible.

With hindsight I should've started it at 1.090 and left it be.

At this late stage would it be worth getting a yeast starter going in a small bottle with some added sugar and some of the must? (I have some more 71b-1122 and some EC-1118)

Or, is it not worth the hassle - considering it is about 12.3% at the moment?

Thanks for any advice.

Get a red grape juice from Lidl. Start it fermenting in a demijohn - just add a teaspoon of yeast and it will explode. Then double up with your must until all is fermenting again and it will ferment to dryness. Incidentally. have you tasted it? It may be drinkable as is without going to further trouble. I have found that sometimes elderberry is ok when not below 1000 - it depends on your palate and how determined you are to achieve ultimate SG.

Thanks for the replies. It turns out that procrastinating was the best approach. It has started off again by itself. :)

I did try a drop when I racked it and it was still a little sweet for my taste. If it had been 996 or lower I would've stopped it. Fingers crossed it'll make the distance.

Latest posts

Back