Tea wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After searching for 6 hours over two days for elderberries and ending up empty handed, decided to do a tea wine.

10 Earl Grey tea bags
2 lemons
170g Thin cut Marmalade (80g of sugar)
1 kg of Sugar
1 tsp Citric & Pectolase (for lemons)
2 tsp nutrient (finishing off tub) might be low in nutrients without
Harris yeast

Method:

Tea bags in pan, squeezed lemons and chucked peel in pan too with a couple of litres of boiling water. Boiled and simmered while I was racking blackberry wine. Sugar in demijohn boiling water onto sugar to disolve, then strained pan contents into dj, added more water to pan with tea bags etc in reboiled and and added to dj, topped up with some cold water. When cool added citric, nutrient, pectolase and yeast. Fermenting away at present.

Another on the to do list.....

I did this one
I had no marmalade so squeezed two oranges instead and a glug of fresh orange juice
Just coming up to first racking can't wait to taste it

I did this one
I had no marmalade so squeezed two oranges instead and a glug of fresh orange juice

I only used marmalade to use up the jar and had no suitable oranges to use the zest.

I did this one

Did you add any more sugar in place of not using the marmalade ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just tested and it has only dropped to 1010, only thing can think off is that the dioxin or bleach in the tea bag itself has interferred someway, or a little sterilising solution in the hydrometer was left when I took the first sample. Maybe something on the lemons, although I did wash them. Looks like it is going to take another month or even two.

Just tested F.G 0.998 tastes ok, will improve. Added disolved camden and 1/2 tsp of K.Sorbate and added finings.

Bottled on Sunday, taste improved after finings etc added. The Gorse version I made earlier in the year tasted better as it masked the slight bitterness of the tannin.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread. I made this recipe (with marmalade) a few weeks ago. Was yours slow to clear?

I've added two lots of finings now and mine still looks like this:

IMG_20170611_161834669.jpg

Latest posts

Back