Young Oak leaf red wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
1 litre of young translucent oak leaves for each gallon (2 dj's). 1 camden - boiling water over and brought to boil and simmered to clear camden. Strained and poured over1kg of sugar and dissolved.

2 litres of red grape juice (lidl's) added and 1/2 tsp of citric, 1 tsp of wilkos nutrient and 1tsp of pectolase. Then added sprinkle of gv4 yeast.

Oddly there appeared more tannin from the young transucent leaves than the older ones used for the white oak wine. Might have been that I left camden in there longer before boiling.

Edit: Fermenting and have cleared camdens. Debating whether to add another litre of red grape to each.

Campden sterilizes cant see it having anything to do with tannin, older oak leaves contain more tannin than young so cant see why the young leaves would have more !!!

Camdens bleach colour out of wine, I have no doubt on this and experientment with camden, without, using redbush instead and camdens definately bleach colours in wine. Probably not all but some. Saying this maybe because the leaves were smaller even with using half the amount per gallon on the red they gave more tannin, weight wise less than the other but the tree was in flower (catkins like) and had oak wasp balls (oak apples - used in the past as source of ink) growing , maybe that affect it some how.

Camdens bleach colour out of wine, I have doubt on this and experientment with camden without using redbush instead and camdens definately bleach colours in wine. Probably not all but some. Saying this maybe because the leaves were smaller even with using half the amount per gallon on the red the amounted to more tannin, weight wise less than the other but the tree was in flower and had oak wasp balls growing maybe that affect it some how.

Yes its possible some trees can have more tannins than others, and maybe produce more tannins at different times , maybe spring time when the saps rising, flowering like you say. ?

Racked both dj's tasting good at the moment, will need a month or two to clear naturally and another 4 months to mature the tannin.

Bottled, needs a few months to condition wish I had used more leaves as I don't think I used enough.

Back