Pitching Temp and Effect on Flavour

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuggled

Reaction score
Hi All

I did my second all grain brew yesterday, it was bloody warm in that kitchen! It all went very well, but I was struggling to get the temperature down and didn't want the wort sitting around too long without pitching so pitched the yeast at 30C which I know is too high really... but I whacked it in the brew fridge (first brew in it!) and got the temp down to 20C within three hours or so, and it been steady 20C since then. My question is would the first few hours of high temp, and the high pitching temp made much difference? What should I expect?

It's a Fullers ESB clone with an Mangrove Jacks liberty bell Ale yeast.

Thanks

I suspect it will be fine - I would have popped the wort in the brew fridge and then added the yeast once it got down to 20-21°C.

Having said that the yeast will have only just woken during the hot temps so unlikely any off flavours developed in that very short time.

Always worth giving a brew 2 weeks in primary to allow the yeast to clean up after itself but thats good practice anyway, not recommending that particularly because of your pitching temperature.

Good luck with it, sure it will be fine.

Thanks very much. In hindsight I should've just waited. I think it got down pretty quick so should be ok.

Thanks!

You should be okay. The yeast didn't do very much in the three hours it took to cool the wort down.
I did a vienna lager and pitched the yeast at 16, mid afternoon, and put it into the cellar at 10. The wort was down to 12 and the yeast was just starting to work the next morning. It turned out really good.

Thanks guys, hopefully I've not done too much damage. Hopefully the temp was down before the yeast would've produced esters or fusel alcohols, so fingers crossed the off flavours shouldn't be too pervasive, or not there at all preferably. Are esters and fusels the kind of things you can age out of a beer?

Back