Just had a complete effing disaster

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
I moved house last weekend, so when trying to find places to put all my beers and brewing stuff I found a couple of shelves in the cupboard under the stairs which looked sturdy enough (yep you know where this is going) so I stuck a load of bottles on them till I could find somewhere permanent to keep them.

Occasionally I host a little beer tasting thing for a few mates, so over the last few weeks I'd gradually been gathering together some beers for that. They were on the shelves along with some homebrews.

This evening I was watching TV when the top shelf gave way, taking out another on the way down, dropping a pile of bottles onto the hard wood floor. It sounded like a bomb going off, glad it didn't happen at 3 am.

After about an hour of brushing, mopping and hoovering I tried to work out the casualties:
probably around 10-15 homebrews as well as a Brewheadz Porter, a Dales Pale Ale, an Anchor Old Foghorn, a Sixpoint Resin, a Westmalle Dubbel, a Stone IPA, a Stone Arrogant ******* and a St Bernardus Abt 12. Gutted :(

I moved house last weekend, so when trying to find places to put all my beers and brewing stuff I found a couple of shelves in the cupboard under the stairs which looked sturdy enough (yep you know where this is going) so I stuck a load of bottles on them till I could find somewhere permanent to keep them.

Occasionally I host a little beer tasting thing for a few mates, so over the last few weeks I'd gradually been gathering together some beers for that. They were on the shelves along with some homebrews.

This evening I was watching TV when the top shelf gave way, taking out another on the way down, dropping a pile of bottles onto the hard wood floor. It sounded like a bomb going off, glad it didn't happen at 3 am.

After about an hour of brushing, mopping and hoovering I tried to work out the casualties:
probably around 10-15 homebrews as well as a Brewheadz Porter, a Dales Pale Ale, an Anchor Old Foghorn, a Sixpoint Resin, a Westmalle Dubbel, a Stone IPA, a Stone Arrogant ******* and a St Bernardus Abt 12. Gutted :(

I am sorry for your loss, I will pour a little of my beer on the ground for your lost brews next time I have a drink....

Gutted for you, a box on the floor in an unused corner is the best place for precious beers. My homebrew racking in the garage could support a small car but there's that much on it, if it did go it'd be a catastrophe.
I think we should have a forum whip-round to help ease your pain:cheers:

Commiseration Steve, that is a bummer. If you wanna PM your new address I'll happily send you a homebrew or two to help replenish the stock.

Gutted for you and such a cracking idea for your mates.I have a few on the go so if your up for a tasting let me and we'll sort something out.
May not be as spectacular as your own but shall keep the banter going.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Commiseration Steve, that is a bummer. If you wanna PM your new address I'll happily send you a homebrew or two to help replenish the stock.

Thanks mate, I'll be sure to return the favour when I get up and running again :thumb:

Pm me your address Steve and I'll send you a bottle aswell. I could do with a little critique on my Raspberry ipa.

Gutted for you and such a cracking idea for your mates.I have a few on the go so if your up for a tasting let me and we'll sort something out.
May not be as spectacular as your own but shall keep the banter going.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

It always goes down well, I have a few mates who enjoy beer but don't know a lot about it so this is a good way for them to try something a bit different. There were some survivors thankfully, including a few special ones I'd brought back from Belgium (Abbeye des Rocs Brune, Oak Aged La Trappe Quad, Struisse Pannepot). The HB took a big hit though, I probably have only about 10 left!

Also thanks for the offer, I'll definitely keep that in mind :thumb:

Latest posts

Back