Recommend a grain mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I eventually changed out all the nuts and bolts for stainless steel and fitted "double nuts" to ensure that they didn't move.
Mill with dehumidifier.jpg

The mill is kept inside a sealable FV so to prevent the formation of mould I installed a small dehumidifier that sits inside the FV when the mill isn't in use.

Mill End Bearing.jpg

I also removed the retaining spring that held the ball bearing in place and drilled a shallow "cup" shape in the end of the screw so that it would "centre" properly and the two grinding faces would remain parallel throughout the grind.

Mill Parallel.jpg

The photographs are worth a thousand words! :thumb:

I went for a chinese copy of the bulldog type, it is a 2SS roller affair and it works perfectly, it came with 2 bars that attach to the bottom of it so you can stand it on top of a FV while crushing.....
It cost about £56.00 off of AliExpress- the downside was the Import VAT and the post office handling fee which brought the total cost up to about £85-90.... same price as most of the HB retailers in the UK.

I went for a chinese copy of the bulldog type, it is a 2SS roller affair and it works perfectly, it came with 2 bars that attach to the bottom of it so you can stand it on top of a FV while crushing.....
It cost about �£56.00 off of AliExpress- the downside was the Import VAT and the post office handling fee which brought the total cost up to about �£85-90.... same price as most of the HB retailers in the UK.

avoiding premium carriers such as dhl and ups and opting for the slower postal options when ordering from the far east is generally a better plan as the package descriptions tend to be way more general and have nominal below tariff values declared. Premium carriers tend to dictate explicit and too the penny costs are declared, probably as they make a tidy administrative fee for collecting vat and duty. the downside is the 3-6week wait..
often with larger bulkier goods tho premium carriers are the only option.

avoiding premium carriers such as dhl and ups and opting for the slower postal options when ordering from the far east is generally a better plan as the package descriptions tend to be way more general and have nominal below tariff values declared. Premium carriers tend to dictate explicit and too the penny costs are declared, probably as they make a tidy administrative fee for collecting vat and duty. the downside is the 3-6week wait..
often with larger bulkier goods tho premium carriers are the only option.

Totally agree with your points, unfortunately the seller only used the expensive carrier, no other option....

Back