coopers cervza stopped

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninja_geeze

Reaction score
Hi all just started a coopers mexican cerveza to this recipe .
brewed to 21litres instead of the 23. 500gm of dexrose, and 500gm of DME.
used cheap bottled water.
started it Saturday afternoon with an og of 1.046 by sat evening it was going great guns ,could not keep the temp below 26c sometimes a bit higher due to the weather.. i would have liked 18-20c (brew fridge in the pipeline) just 48 hours later its virtually stopped just a bubble through the airlock every 3 mins.should i try more yeast ? has the heat killed the yeast ?
sorry im a newbie at this..

Ninja

Hi all just started a coopers mexican cerveza to this recipe .
brewed to 21litres instead of the 23. 500gm of dexrose, and 500gm of DME.
used cheap bottled water.
started it Saturday afternoon with an og of 1.046 by sat evening it was going great guns ,could not keep the temp below 26c sometimes a bit higher due to the weather.. i would have liked 18-20c (brew fridge in the pipeline) just 48 hours later its virtually stopped just a bubble through the airlock every 3 mins.should i try more yeast ? has the heat killed the yeast ?
sorry im a newbie at this..

Ninja

You have carried out the fermentation at quite a high temperature, compared to 'normal' which should be about 20ish *C. It's quite possible that the fermentation has finished. So check the SG before you do anything else.
And remember fv lid seals do leak, and CO2 can bypass the airlock and this may not be noticeable until the CO2 rate has dropped, although the fermentation may still be going albeit slowly .

You have carried out the fermentation at quite a high temperature, compared to 'normal' which should be about 20ish *C. It's quite possible that the fermentation has finished. So check the SG before you do anything else.
And remember fv lid seals do leak, and CO2 can bypass the airlock and this may not be noticeable until the CO2 rate has dropped, although the fermentation may still be going albeit slowly .
ok yes good point .ive taken a reading and its about 1.010 so about 4.7% so maybe its done its thing in 48 hours not ideal but i could not cool the brew in anyway .im going away for a couple of days so i will take another reading when im back just to see if its dropped any or started to clear.the weather man says 12 degrees cooler from tomorrow .now to begin the search for a fermenting fridge. :mrgreen:

ok yes good point .ive taken a reading and its about 1.010 so about 4.7% so maybe its done its thing in 48 hours not ideal but i could not cool the brew in anyway .im going away for a couple of days so i will take another reading when im back just to see if its dropped any or started to clear.the weather man says 12 degrees cooler from tomorrow .now to begin the search for a fermenting fridge. :mrgreen:
At 1.010 its probably nearly done if not done. You have managed 78% attenuation which is good for most kit yeasts.
However it will do no harm to leave it alone for another 10 days or even more before you bottle. Just keep the FV sealed up. By then the yeast will have cleaned up and it should be almost clear or perhaps clear to the eye but still with enough yeast to carbonate.
I have a brew on the go at present in my garage, which has hit 27/28*C at times. However I put my FV in my water bath (alias Wilko trug) and the bath temperature has stayed in the range 20-22*C due in part to evaporative cooling I suspect, and me swapping a litre of warm water with a litre of cold from the fridge about twice a day.

Latest posts

Back