Serious Corny keg advice needed pls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys. think I may have hit a stumbling block.
Planning on brewing 4 kegs worth of brews over the next few weeks for my wedding.
SO have a few questions.
1. have no fridge to force carb. Is this a major issue???
What would happen if I carb at room temp?

2.Once carved (unsure how you actually know if cared) how long will they stay carbed without constant co2?

3. Ill be running the kegs through my maxi chiller/phython setup. Would it matter if the kegs are not chilled before use. I know the maxi chills the brew I just want to minimise the risk of foaming

thx

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=xbA22cKg6g1riDhoRe225w&bvm=bv.58187178,d.ZG4

use the kegging chart to look up the ambient temp the kegs will sit at, and find the desired level of condition, then read off the level of pressure requiered to maintain/set that level and set it up, Agitation of the kegs will hasten the process, but i would give em a week minimum ;)

Dont be tempted to overset, a little too much condition on the day could be a major headache..
Ive not had a look but if the suggested pressure is over 40 psi.. i would have a pause for though especially with older dinged kegs..

a shelf chiller will only knock off X degrees off the beers ambient temp before the pour gets too slow for the most patient guinness drinker. But because the beer is drawn from the keg base via a dip tube simply standing the kegs in a bowl with ice will prechill the beer drawn first ;)
and should start to take effect in a few minutes when boosted by the shelf chiller which you can start using once the waterbath temp hits 0c ;)

Also for an easy serve drop the serving pressure well below that required to maintain the condition, If there is any beer left at the end of the night yuo can redress any condition lost (If any) during the event,

ps the charts are compilled by US brewers, well the one i linked to is at least, they can tend to prefer a little more condition ?? so i would fill the 1st keg asap and wait a week before sampling and adjusting pressures accordingly.

Would this method work fine?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ_YGcJEcOc[/ame]

I can then carb them on the monday when i arrive at the venue, whack in fridge till wednesday morning and get them ready for the wedding on that day??

Would this method work fine?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ_YGcJEcOc

I can then carb them on the monday when i arrive at the venue, whack in fridge till wednesday morning and get them ready for the wedding on that day??
Yep that's how you force carb a cornie especially if you want your cleared beer quickly,if you have time you just let them sit to absorb the CO2 like I do,I too haven't any means to put a whole cornie in a fridge and got myself a flash cooler.I look at it like this,someone may tell me I'm wrong but the flash chiller as with your maxi cooler is part of a pressurised CO2 system along with the cornie and the CO2 is only gonna come gushing out of solution at a rate of knots when the beer meets an ambient room temperature resulting in the dreaded fobbing,that doesn't happen with a cooling system as the beer is chilled under the cornie keg pressure with in your case an ice bed so doesn't come gushing out of solution,my first pour is a little fobby but after that its fine.Thats my theory of it anyway and I hope you find my explanation helpful

Yep that's how you force carb a cornie especially if you want your cleared beer quickly,if you have time you just let them sit to absorb the CO2 like I do,I too haven't any means to put a whole cornie in a fridge and got myself a flash cooler.I look at it like this,someone may tell me I'm wrong but the flash chiller as with your maxi cooler is part of a pressurised CO2 system along with the cornie and the CO2 is only gonna come gushing out of solution at a rate of knots when the beer meets an ambient room temperature resulting in the dreaded fobbing,that doesn't happen with a cooling system as the beer is chilled under the cornie keg pressure with in your case an ice bed so doesn't come gushing out of solution,my first pour is a little fobby but after that its fine.Thats my theory of it anyway and I hope you find my explanation helpful

So ill be fine just force cabling on the Monday, whacking in a fridge till Wednesday then just hooking up to my maxi chiller and away I go. Or would it help putting the corny in a little ice bucket?

Another question.
How long can I leave my freshly brewed beer in my corny keg before I force carb.
Just my first brew may be ready in a few weeks.?

Will it spoil or be fine?

So ill be fine just force cabling on the Monday, whacking in a fridge till Wednesday then just hooking up to my maxi chiller and away I go. Or would it help putting the corny in a little ice bucket?

Another question.
How long can I leave my freshly brewed beer in my corny keg before I force carb.

To be honest if it's good beer it won't last that long xD

Another question.

putting your cornie in an ice bucket will only help it along so I wouldn't dismiss that idea,force carbing?bottom line is really you should only be doing that if your finished beer is perfectly clear before kegging if you wanna serve immediately after doing so(some folk will balk at cloudy beer),also your beer wont taint if you vent the trapped O2 through the release valve after carbing up upon kegging as your beer will then be in a sterile envoiroment

Just wondering how you guys clean your corny kegs.
It will be the first time cleaning my new (2nd hand from malt miller) corny.
I have star san but been reading about PWB?
Any suggestions please
thx

Any suggestions please
thx
I soak over night with unscented oxyclean( pound land) rinse out fill with a kettle of Milton water seal it shake about pressurise it a bit leave for half hour then run out through my QD SS tap,never had a problem

In the bar i use the recirculating loop that cools the python to cool casks in hot weather. If you get a large trug (£4.00 from tesco) Tap a long length of beer line into the python cooling line and run it in a loop in the trug and back into the python, stand containers in the trug and add 6 inch of water. Throw a large towel over to help keep cool. This stops warm beer fobbing when it hits the chiller and costs a lot less than cooling jackets (£120.00)

The stuff I found was called Oxi Active from Poundland, for cleaning clothes etc, is that the stuff?

Any suggestions please
thx
Starsan will NOT clean. It will only sanitise that that is already clean. PWB (or VWP) will clean and sterilise too, but they clean by being fairly aggressive chemically so don't leave them in contact longer than directed (about 15-20 minutes - I believe VWP is a little more evil than PWB so longer soaks are ok with PWB) and rinse well - then give a final rinse with Starsan just to be sure.

New Cornies may stink of "pop" or "cola". The PWB (or VWP) may not get rid of this. Change the O-rings to cure it, if it hasn't already been done by the shop as part their "reconditioning".

I maintain cornies in a similar manner - clean 'em with VWP then do a final rinse (just before filling again) with Starsan.

Instead of VWP or PWB you can use the oxy-clean products mentioned above, or sodium percarbonate (same thing). It's less aggressive than VWP but I'd still ignore suggestions that it's "no-rinse". It needs long contact times (hours) to be considered a steriliser - use it with a final rinse of Starsan.

Be wary of long soaks with oxi, depending on your water, you may end up with white crystals deposited on surfaces. Also ensure that the water is hot (60/65C I think is recommended) took activate it.

When are you getting married? I am thinking of brewing beer for my wedding too and I would love to learn from your mistakes! :lol: :whistle:

When are you getting married? I am thinking of brewing beer for my wedding too and I would love to learn from your mistakes! :lol: :whistle:

9th August.
well had the stag do at weekend and that went to plan
Brewed
5 gallons of zombie dust
5 Gallons of Strawberry Vanilla Milkshake
5 Gallons of Raspberry Vanilla Smoothie

All these are done and dusted and tasting fantastic.

Just got a NEIPA and Julius clone to go now but want these fresh.

only mistake so far is booking time off work for Sept, so cant goto Asia as its monsoon season : (

9th August.
well had the stag do at weekend and that went to plan
Brewed
5 gallons of zombie dust
5 Gallons of Strawberry Vanilla Milkshake
5 Gallons of Raspberry Vanilla Smoothie

All these are done and dusted and tasting fantastic.

Just got a NEIPA and Julius clone to go now but want these fresh.

only mistake so far is booking time off work for Sept, so cant goto Asia as its monsoon season : (
Cool, congrats and good luck.

I'm not until mid October so got a bit of time. Just kegged my first beer on Monday and burst carbed it yesterday. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow, everything I have tasted of it so far has me pretty excited about it.

Some adventurous styles there, I think I will be brewing more of a normal bitter/ale. I would love to do similar to you but I don't have so many people that are really into their beer. Maybe two kegs of a crowd pleasing ale and another NEIPA if this one turns out it be a winner. Oh, and buying some cases of Peronis for the heathens.

Latest posts

Back