What's the best Prosecco recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needmorstuf

Regular.
Reaction score
I would prefer not to have a lot of sediment in the bottles.. I have read a few recipes where they are not cleared and primed with sugar but is there a way to minimise sediment?

One chap cleared it, put the sugar in the bottles and then just "a few grains" of champagne yeast.

You do get bottle caps with sediment traps built into them, whether or not they can be used at a pressure needed for prosecco/champagne though is something i don't know. Failing that something like a beer gun could maybe be used though afaik you need to first fill a keg to force carbonate it.

maybe I'll just put up with a bit of sediment..

was thinking to minimise it I could, brew a WGJ wow to about 10% - stabilise it and clear it fully with kiwk clear etc.. when clear add priming sugar to bottle and a little yeast? leave for a week or two.

There will probably be enough yeast left in the wine after fining to carbonate it, it will take a bit longer though to get thru the sugar and get pressure built up.

ok for my newbiness...

ferment out to .995 (.998?)
rack it off onto campden (don't add stabiliser)
degass it? so it can clear (almost seems counterproductive but wont clear if gassy)
add kwik clear
when clear..
bottle it onto some sugar (10gm per wine bottle?) and leave for 2 weeks?

ok for my newbiness...

ferment out to .995 (.998?)

bottle it onto some sugar (10gm per wine bottle?) and leave for 2 weeks?

I would let it ferment out dry to near .990 otherwise you could make bottle bombs. Add non fermentable sweetner if you don't like dry wine.

I would be inclined to give it 4 weeks to prime, do use champagne/prosecco bottles with proper corks/cages.

lol ok.. I'll take it to .990 - I think a fizzy should be dry and crisp tbh anyway.

Would brown pet bottles be ok? or swing tops? screw top wine bottles?

Screw top PET bottles should handle the pressure ok, DO NOT use screw top glass wine bottles, champagne bottles are extremely thick to handle the higher pressures involved, thin glass ordinary wine bottles could explode sending glass everywhere.

The amount of sugar you add will depend on the size of the bottle, 10g for a 750ml bottle, less for 500ml, more for 1 litre etc.

If this is your first time doing this i would be inclined to make 1 gallon and use plastic PET bottles until you fully grasp what you are doing, it will take a bit of trial and error to get it right.

I make a nice WGJ version. I clear as much as possible before bottling with priming sugar.
I make in 500ml bottles as SWMBO is not a big drinker , before serving I simply decant into a bigger flip top bottle.
She loves it and I've not bought a bottle of Prosecco for months !!
Quids in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let mine sit for at least 6 months, by which time the sediment is stuck fast to the bottom. Can take a 500ml bottle and pour it out into the same glass three times and the last will be as clear as the first. Put the top on and stick it back into the fridge between top-ups and it will still be fizzy after an hour. If you want it really fizzing like a commercial version I put 10g sugar per Coopers PET bottle.

If you don't use sweeteners then you'd better like it dry, "brut nature" the French call it. Best that way though, you can add a teaspoon of elderflower cordial when serving and you won't know it from shop bought. [Or at least mine is like that, but I make it from kits rather than supermarket juice or whatever.]

I make a nice WGJ version. I clear as much as possible before bottling with priming sugar.
I make in 500ml bottles as SWMBO is not a big drinker , before serving I simply decant into a bigger flip top bottle.
She loves it and I've not bought a bottle of Prosecco for months !!
Quids in.

^^this.

I need a blow by blow as I'm quite new...

^^this.

I need a blow by blow as I'm quite new...

1L Apple juice
1L White grape juice
2L water
500g sugar
1.5 tsp yeast Youngs super.
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1tsp glycerine
1tsp citric acid

Here you go.

I left out the Citric acid once by mistake - it was no where near as good so don't miss that one out !!

All in a DJ and away she goes.

1L Apple juice
1L White grape juice
2L water
500g sugar
1.5 tsp yeast Youngs super.
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp pectolase
1tsp glycerine
1tsp citric acid

Here you go.

I left out the Citric acid once by mistake - it was no where near as good so don't miss that one out !!

All in a DJ and away she goes.

once it's fermented out how do you go about the rest of the process? do you use fermentation stopper etc...

once it's fermented out how do you go about the rest of the process? do you use fermentation stopper etc...

No. When it gets to your desired sweetness. Usually around about 1.000 for me I just bottle prime with sugar, 1 tea spoon per 500ml bottle.

Leave for 2 weeks and it clears.

Don't add any stopper because you want it go through carbonation in the bottle and it needs yeasties for this .

sorry for being stupid.. does this sound like a plan?

make as per ingredients
rack into a dj at desired sweetness (1.000)
add campden tablet (no stabiliser)
degas
transfer immediately into bottles onto sugar
leave for 2 weeks
decant into a clean bottle off the sediment

Sounds good - to be honest I don't even rack onto a campden, it can kill yeasties I think so I'd leave out for fizzy wines.
Only decant to clean bottle when you want to drink it really. Unless you want to store for a long time.
Mine gets drunk each batch within 3 months.

Latest posts

Back