Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water > Nottingham as a hot weather yeast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #21
BeerisGOD
Senior Member
 
BeerisGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 958
Liked 209 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Default

cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just £1!!!

CHATEAU BISCUIT (Biscuit Malt) 50 EBC 500g Crushed
Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.
__________________
Drinking
Turbo Cider
Coopers Real Ale (choc/crystal)
St Peters Ruby Red
Cooper's Real Ace (cara, challenger/stella)
Youngs AIPA
Woodforde's Wherry
Coopers Stout PM challenger
Real Ale coopers PM EKG and Fuggles
PM EKG AND FUGGLES Holland barret malt
Chub1 Chinook IPA AG 7.6%
Young's A.A.A 6.8%
Conditioning

Worthingtons white Shield AG clone 5.2%

Primary
Youngs Special 5.3%
BeerisGOD is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:04 PM   #22
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,966
Liked 3748 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 3907

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just �£1!!!

CHATEAU BISCUIT (Biscuit Malt) 50 EBC 500g Crushed
Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.
Tbh, I'm not that keen on the beer that I made. Basically because I think notty is too high attenuating and clean for a bitter. I like some body and esters in my bitters. I'm doing the exact same thing again with the notty but I'm going to make a lager hybrid with it because I think the characteristics of notty suit a lager style ale better i.e. high attenuation so less body and clean flavours with not a lot oef esters
__________________
Orfys Mild
Centennial American Brown
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter









MyQul is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #23
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,966
Liked 3748 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 3907

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just �£1!!!

CHATEAU BISCUIT (Biscuit Malt) 50 EBC 500g Crushed
Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.
That's weird. They must have ran out or decided to stop stocking biscuit malt as that's where I bought it from. I bought another load about 3 weeks ago.

The recipe definatley works though as It's my standard bitter reciepe and I've done it with a number of different yeasts (although I often change the flavour and aroma hops depending on what I'e got in), it just doesnt seem to suit notty.
__________________
Orfys Mild
Centennial American Brown
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter









MyQul is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #24
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,966
Liked 3748 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 3907

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
cheers myqul, ive copy and pasted this to my 'to do' list. all i need is some magnum hops and biscuit malt. never tried this malt, shame geterbrewed don't supply it, so itl have to be hb company... for just �£1!!!

CHATEAU BISCUIT (Biscuit Malt) 50 EBC 500g Crushed
Unique and very special Belgian malt. Lightly kilned, then lightly torrefied at up to 160°C. Château Biscuit® malt produces a very pronounced "toasty" finish in the beer. Imparts a warm bread and biscuit-like aroma and flavour. Promotes a light to medium warm brown colour of the mash. This malt is used to improve the roasted flavour and aroma that characterize ales and lagers lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts.
You can also use amber malt (which GEB do still sell) in place of Biscuit, if you want to go with GEB for supplie
__________________
Orfys Mild
Centennial American Brown
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter









MyQul is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #25
BeerisGOD
Senior Member
 
BeerisGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 958
Liked 209 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Default

Good old geterbrewed do amber 78p for 500g. I'm afraid to say they don't sell magnum hops😐
BeerisGOD is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 09:48 PM   #26
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,966
Liked 3748 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 3907

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerisGOD View Post
Good old geterbrewed do amber 78p for 500g. I'm afraid to say they don't sell magnum hops������
I got those from CML so no P&P
__________________
Orfys Mild
Centennial American Brown
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter









MyQul is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #27
IainM
Senior Member
 
IainM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,432
Liked 629 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 282

Default

Just to weigh in on the OP, a few days ago I bottled four DJs with one packet on Notty split between them. They peaked when it was 24C ambient, so must have been close to 26C in the DJ. Also, they weren't in a brew fridge and, being DJs, probably had quite a bit of temp fluctuation. Three were at 1.056, one at 1.062, and all finished at 1.006. Trial jar at bottling was promising, obviously in need of a bit of conditioning but certainly the high and fluctuating temperatures haven't left any of the hallmarks of a beer that will need long conditioning. Previously US05, with a high pitching rate, was my go-to high-temp clean-profile yeast, but if the hops aren't subdued I might add Nottingham to the list.
__________________
Planning: nothing
FVs: nothing
DJs: nothing
Conditioning: Black IPA v3, TC, 007:Golden Hop / Amarillo IPA, Experimental Grapefruit single hop, John Bull IPA partial mash
Drinking: Gales Festival Mild (GW clone), RIS, Honey Cider, Winebuddy Merlot, Mead, Cyser, Melomel
Previous good'uns: RyeIPA, NEDIPA, Bitter (HBF comp 2nd place), Perry from scratch, Hobgob clone, DIYDog Dogma, Mild, BIPA x 2, ginger beer
IainM is offline  
MyQul Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #28
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,966
Liked 3748 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 3907

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainM View Post
Just to weigh in on the OP, a few days ago I bottled four DJs with one packet on Notty split between them. They peaked when it was 24C ambient, so must have been close to 26C in the DJ. Also, they weren't in a brew fridge and, being DJs, probably had quite a bit of temp fluctuation. Three were at 1.056, one at 1.062, and all finished at 1.006. Trial jar at bottling was promising, obviously in need of a bit of conditioning but certainly the high and fluctuating temperatures haven't left any of the hallmarks of a beer that will need long conditioning. Previously US05, with a high pitching rate, was my go-to high-temp clean-profile yeast, but if the hops aren't subdued I might add Nottingham to the list.
To get around subdued hops I'm going to do a hop tea and possibly a dry hop on my next go at brewing notty warm
__________________
Orfys Mild
Centennial American Brown
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter









MyQul is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #29
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
Slid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bolton
Posts: 3,037
Liked 843 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 840

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
Slightly related, someone on here suggests draping an old wet towel or similar over your FV in hot weather to lower the temperature by evaporative cooling.
A wet Tee Shirt on an old jogger has the same effect.

Sorry for off topic post!
Slid is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #30
MyQul
Chairman of the Bored
THBF_MODERATOR.png
 
MyQul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Royal Hamlet of Peckham. London.
Posts: 11,966
Liked 3748 Times on 2879 Posts
Likes Given: 3907

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slid View Post
A wet Tee Shirt on an old jogger has the same effect.

Sorry for off topic post!
Pensioner Wet t-shirt comps? You pervert Slid!
__________________
Orfys Mild
Centennial American Brown
Sam Adams Boston Lager
Milk Mild/Stout
Strong (6%) Stout/Porter









MyQul is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nottingham yeast HopWroester Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water 7 29-11-2015 03:34 PM
Nottingham Yeast earthwormgaz General Beer Brewing Discussion 2 28-12-2013 11:48 AM
Nottingham Yeast v S-05 Hawks Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water 17 27-08-2012 03:20 PM
Nottingham Yeast cwrw Grain, Hops, Yeast & Water 4 27-08-2010 03:47 PM
Nottingham Ale Yeast wurzel General Beer Brewing Discussion 20 12-05-2010 07:42 AM

Newest Threads