buying chiller vs DIY

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
Is there any point in making an immersion chiller yourself when you can buy one from the Hop and grape for 35 quid? I've been trying to find cheap copper but as far as i can see it'll cost between £30 and £50 for thew copper alone nevermind the other fittings.

Does anybody know any different or have a cheap source of copper tubing?

Also, can i use a normal plastic fermentor tap for my boiler or do i need a boiler tap?

I got 10m of 10mm copper pipe (the bendy stuff) from http://www.plumbcall.com for £16. I dont think they offer it on their website but if you go to one of the shops you shop be ok. I hope to get the chiller made for about £20. Helps if you've got the blow torch etc already tho....

Maybe give them a ring and see what they can do for you..

Not sure regarding the copper pipe, but as far as a tap for your boiler is concerned, you want something where you can control the flow and won't block. The best type is a ball valve. My boiler has a plastic lever type of tap - totally unfit for purpose because it's got two speeds - full and off (the third speed is 'blocked'). I'm changing it this week before my next brew.

The Ginger Ninja said:
I got 10m of 10mm copper pipe (the bendy stuff) from http://www.plumbcall.com for £16. I dont think they offer it on their website but if you go to one of the shops you shop be ok. I hope to get the chiller made for about £20. Helps if you've got the blow torch etc already tho....

Maybe give them a ring and see what they can do for you..

Nice one. I'm in leeds too so thats a winner. :D

Copper prices are a right pain - one of the reasons I decided to offer to make chillers for people was that the most efficient way to buy not just the copper tube, but all the elbows, t-pieces and reducers in bulk. That way the individual unit price is a fraction of what the likes of B&Q charge for these fittings.

Given how much the materials cost, plus gas, flux, solder and ptfe tape, you will not be able to build a decent chiller yourself for under £35 all in. Neither could I!!

Of course, you get what you pay for in this world :lol: :thumb:

luckyeddie said:
but as far as a tap for your boiler is concerned, you want something where you can control the flow and won't block. The best type is a ball valve.

Ok, I guess i was worried about the rubber seal not being up to a long boil on the standard taps. Do you know if that would be an issue?

BigYin said:
Given how much the materials cost, plus gas, flux, solder and ptfe tape, you will not be able to build a decent chiller yourself for under £35 all in. Neither could I!!

Yep, The last thing i want to scrimp on the right tools, then put a big kink in the copper and have to buy a whole other coil.
How much do you make them for? Not sure if there is something on your profile or not, couldn't see anything.

bob3000 said:
Nice one. I'm in leeds too so thats a winner. :D

Where abouts are you? Give me a shout if you need a hand (not that i really know anything about anything............ but 2 heads are better then one etc...)

I plan on getting my chiller done when i get back from holiday (June) so it would be good to compare notes on design etc

I went to the plumbcall on kirkstall road, i think they call it their Headingly shop even though its not near headingly...

The Ginger Ninja said:
Where abouts are you? Give me a shout if you need a hand (not that i really know anything about anything............ but 2 heads are better then one etc...)

I'm over in meanwood. I'd definately be up for sharing some tools and know how. Let me know if your doing a build and visa versa. :cheers:

Ace im in Headingly at the moment but will be moving to Burley in July. I am planning to get my chiller done and make a new mash tun (cool box style) in June. Will give you a shout halfway through the build when i realise I need the tool that I havent got!

Would definitely get metal a ball valve rather than a plastic tap, think they are much safer.Was reading a thread yesterday that Aleman posted about 3rd degree burns when his plastic tap failed!!! :cry:
You can get one from screwfix for a few quid so definitely worth it :thumb:

bob3000 said:
BigYin said:

Yep, The last thing i want to scrimp on the right tools, then put a big kink in the copper and have to buy a whole other coil.
How much do you make them for? Not sure if there is something on your profile or not, couldn't see anything.

Link should be in my Sig..

Anyway, the way I price them is simply the copper cost plus a tenner to cover the cost of gas, flux, solder, ptfe tape, and my time. Last one I built used £42 of copper tube and fittings, so total was £52. Of course because I make twin coil chillers there's a lot more material in it than a single coil job. In what seems like just a few months, the materials cost seems to have risen 30% :shock:

Also the twin coil chiller cools quicker, uses less water and is a work of art. It's like owning stainless instead of plastic. :D

Easy Peasie said:
Would definitely get metal a ball valve rather than a plastic tap, think they are much safer.Was reading a thread yesterday that Aleman posted about 3rd degree burns when his plastic tap failed!!! :cry:
You can get one from screwfix for a few quid so definitely worth it :thumb:

are they easy to fit? do they come with a seal ect? or is there a how to you can recomend for installing one.

Latest posts

Back