Toffee Apple Cider Recipe (UPDATED!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May have to give this recipe a go, I have a toffee apple recipe on the brew right now but it's very different to this one.

Aye I finished the toffee Apple cider! Mind not a lot of toffee...I didn't work out the honey properly!! But I know now how to fix it.
A surpisily good cider tbh!
My Apple trees were clipped so didnt get any apples this season..
Oh well have wait for the next.

Aye I finished the toffee Apple cider! Mind not a lot of toffee...I didn't work out the honey properly!! But I know now how to fix it.
A surpisily good cider tbh!
My Apple trees were clipped so didnt get any apples this season..
Oh well have wait for the next.

I would LOVE an orchard. It's RIGHT up there on my wish list.

I am trying this for my first effort. Just coming up to 48 hours in my demijohn and it is bubbling away what I would say is nicely.
IMG_5667.JPG

With me luck!

The other is 4L apple juicer mixed with 1/2 a bottle of polish syrup raspberry and lemon flavour - it's 24 hours behind the pear one but bubbling along nicely. Plan is to stick the other half bottle of syrup in when fermented and then sweeten and carbonate.

No idea of what to do with this part though!

Its only been just over a week and it's now finished fermenting. I've been keeping it next to the radiator (not on permanently but a couple of hours a day) in our front room. All the pears and **** dropped down to the bottom and it cleared noticeably in the last 48 hours.

I have racked it into a clean demijohn leaving the sediment and pears in the old one and throwing away. Not sure if it may have fermented a bit quickly as almost everybody else's seems to take at least 10 days if not 2-3 weeks.

I know i am resurrecting the dead with this post, however i have been wanting to try this for some time, and after lots of lurking have joined the forum to start contributing - and starting here.

I plan to finally make a batch of this and given the times people are saying this needs to mature to get the best im wanting to make a decent size batch.

I have a 60l Spiedel FV which seals up well and will be used as primary.
Assuming a 3 week primary what is my best option:
Just seal it where it is and leave it in the primary for a few months.
Transfer to a secondary FV, seal and leave for a few months.
Prime, bottle and leave for a few months.

My standard would be to bottle and condition in bottles - i know they are sealed and nothing can get in there, so wandering if the other options of conditioning in Primary or Secondary adds a benefit that makes up for the risk of killing a big batch of this, if not sealed correctly or something gets in during the transfer etc.

Planning this for a xmas brew so want to get it made in the next week or two. Thanks for any responses!

Personally I'd bottle it after the primary fermentation is up and let it condition in the bottles. With the tinned pears in the primary I just feel it has the potential to go a bit manky if you left it in the primary for months but who knows.

Good thread resurrection, though about giving this stuff a go first time I saw the recipe, might actually get round to it one day 😃

Personally I'd bottle it after the primary fermentation is up and let it condition in the bottles. With the tinned pears in the primary I just feel it has the potential to go a bit manky if you left it in the primary for months but who knows.

Good thread resurrection, though about giving this stuff a go first time I saw the recipe, might actually get round to it one day 😃

Thats a fair point, there is a lot swilling around in there. I think i will look at waiting for primary to finish, Then suspend the vanilla for a week or so, then bottle and stick in a cupboard. That also frees a big FV up for making something else too.

Latest posts

Back