Nottingham Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthwormgaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Just tasting my Yuletide brew, about 3 weeks in the bottle. It's not bad, but it's not my best.

I always use Nottingham yeast, just because I'm from Nottingham, lol. I'm wondering now whether the better ones I've done in the past were with other yeast. I can't remember what brew I did with what yeast, but I've got a sneaky suspicion.

What do other people think of it?

Always found it to be a well behaved yeast - ferments quick and drops out well, but the flavour it tends to produce doesn't seem to be to my taste. I find it a bit too dry with a slight tartness. I prefer my English styles with a richer character for which S-04 seems to be better.

All just personal preference of course and I'm not saying it is a bad yeast. Also possible it is recipe related issues. The one good beer I did with it was Bombay IPA where the sheer quantity of Hops probably makes all else of little importance.

As for the name, I've not seen any evidence offered that it actually came from a Nottingham brewery...

The yeasts I've tried so far are Nottingham, US-05, S04, S33 and Mauribrew 514. The Mauribrew has been my favourite so far, flavour wise it is fruitier than Nottingham, and it fermented well and dropped clear too. Worth a go. I liked the S33 flavour too, but it only got down to about 1018 and really needed to get lower. US-05 is very neutral, leaving the malt/hops in full control of the flavour, which is ideal for certain beers I think. I wasn't that keen on the Nottingham myself, to be honest.

Latest posts

Back