Tea wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
After searching for 6 hours over two days for elderberries and ending up empty handed, decided to do a tea wine.

10 Earl Grey tea bags
2 lemons
170g Thin cut Marmalade (80g of sugar)
1 kg of Sugar
1 tsp Citric & Pectolase (for lemons)
2 tsp nutrient (finishing off tub) might be low in nutrients without
Harris yeast

Method:

Tea bags in pan, squeezed lemons and chucked peel in pan too with a couple of litres of boiling water. Boiled and simmered while I was racking blackberry wine. Sugar in demijohn boiling water onto sugar to disolve, then strained pan contents into dj, added more water to pan with tea bags etc in reboiled and and added to dj, topped up with some cold water. When cool added citric, nutrient, pectolase and yeast. Fermenting away at present.

I had a lady grey on the go last winter and it was just about ready for bottling and tasting good when my stepson broke the DJ!
The kitchen smelled like a brewery for a few days

But anyway I've had some good tea wine in the past from standard tea bags as well, one nice one had a rotting banana added.

I ended up trying this with normal teabags. Just wondering if I should just let it ferment out fully or if I should pop some potassium sorbate in to stabilise at some point?

I have a box of Assam tea that somebody bought me a while ago. Do you think that would produce something tasty and drinkable?

Also my LHBS in Belfast has elderberries for sale. You could probably order from their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up trying this with normal teabags. Just wondering if I should just let it ferment out fully or if I should pop some potassium sorbate in to stabilise at some point?

Depends on your preference in wine, dry, medium or sweet. Same goes for your tea, if you like a little sugar stop it early. I have found around 1.000 to be fine to drink.

I have a box of Assam tea that somebody bought me a while ago. Do you think that would produce something tasty and drinkable?

You can use any tea. Assam being loose, 3oz is often quoted for a gallon that's about 85g of tea. So steeped and strain.

Yeah fine, although assam sometimes is less finely cut than normal tea, you'll have to judge how long you steep for. If fine cut then wont take long, if thick cut tea might take a longer steep. Try 1 tea bag, see how it goes before using the other 9.

Just tested got an SG of 1.012 it's very slow fermenting at the moment. Added a little nutrient.

Just tested got an SG of 1.012 it's very slow fermenting at the moment. Added a little nutrient.

Still at 1.012 not sure what when on with this, added a little more yeast, tastes ok yet a little too sweet. Edit: Added 1/2 tsp of nutrient.

i have been making wine 30 years and up to 30 gal this year, Tea wine can make a superb sparkling wine , donot make the tea broth to strong use a champagne yeast and ferment, leave until its stopped do not add stabelizer of campden, clear using a recommended agent, the add i teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of new champagne yeast to each bottle, you can back sweeten to taste at this stage using stevia (Truvia) cork keep warm for 2 weeks then store cold . You will be suprised at the result after around 6 months

i have been making wine 30 years and up to 30 gal this year, Tea wine can make a superb sparkling wine , donot make the tea broth to strong use a champagne yeast and ferment, leave until its stopped do not add stabelizer of campden, clear using a recommended agent, the add i teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of new champagne yeast to each bottle, you can back sweeten to taste at this stage using stevia (Truvia) cork keep warm for 2 weeks then store cold . You will be suprised at the result after around 6 months

What recipe do you use ?

i make 5 lots of double strength earl grey in a pint jug , add the juice and zest of two oranges, not peel then dissolve two and half pound sugar in boiling water, this is added to demi john with a teaspoon of pectolose, left overnight, then 250ml of grape concentrate i teaspoon yeast nutrient, i vitamin b1 tablet half teaspoon tartic acid pack champagne yeast , you can adjust the acidity with citric acid at the first racking, This recipe real bubbles so leave a fair bit of room in the demijohn you can all ways top later with warm tea

i make 5 lots of double strength earl grey in a pint jug , add the juice and zest of two oranges, not peel then dissolve two and half pound sugar in boiling water, this is added to demi john with a teaspoon of pectolose, left overnight, then 250ml of grape concentrate i teaspoon yeast nutrient, i vitamin b1 tablet half teaspoon tartic acid pack champagne yeast , you can adjust the acidity with citric acid at the first racking, This recipe real bubbles so leave a fair bit of room in the demijohn you can all ways top later with warm tea

Nice one - cheers Tanz !

Back