Elderberry & grape juice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Ne

Reaction score
With the Elderberry harvest back on track i was thinking about a marriage of elderberrys and supermarket grape juice. 5lb berrys, 5lt grape juice as a base for a decent country wine (5 galls), has anyone made something similar, cheers Dave NE

Supermarket grape juices have their uses and can make a good replacement for water in many country wines, but with an elderberry I wouldn't bother. I will try to find you a recipe tonight, but for 5 gallons I'm thinking 15 lbs elderberries and perhaps a kilo of minced raisins.

Thanks for that Moley. Last year i made 5 galls using 10lb of berrys but i had to split the mix in 2 and ended up with 10 galls but the taste of the wine is still great. I am disabled and it nearly killed me picking so many berrys but i am going ahead this year again as it should be worthwhile. I have made loads of wine with raisins and was hoping to get away from them to cut down the work load hence the juice idea, cheers Dave NE

It all depends on what you're aiming for, less berries plus grape juice should still give an acceptable lighter wine.

I would aim for around 2.5 - 3 lbs berries to the gallon, and raisins will give you more body than grape juice.

Thanks Moley, i might have a go at each recipe and see how they turn out, the down side is i wont know until this time next year, cheers Dave

Back