Grape and Currant Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDog

Regular.
Reaction score
after my recent sultana wine looks a bit rose, Ive gone for dried currants this time (dried tiny greek *red* grapes)

3 Litres Sainsburys Red grape juice
1kg currants
1 tsp glycerine
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pecolase
1.5 tsp Super yeast compound
1 normal + 2 redbush teabags
SG = ??? sugar in the fruit should be 700g

Not as cheap as a WOW, at just over £1 a bottle (so low-mid level wine-kit price). Why bother? Decent 6 bottle kits are high on cost compared to 30 bottle kits, and I don't have the equipment for a 30 bottle kit yet (and I was bored wandering aroud Sainsbury's)

21/01
mug boiling water for teabag juice stewed for 15 mins
food processor rough chopped currants, after softening them in the tea juice for 10 mins
Into small FV bucket with all other ingredients, and into airing cupboard,
Stirring twice daily. Will stew on the fruit for 5 days. ish.

had a taste when stirring, think I've overdone the currants - time will tell, and a long way to go yet.

May take off the pulp after 3 days.. (tomorrow night)

had a taste when stirring, think I've overdone the currants - time will tell, and a long way to go yet.

May take off the pulp after 3 days.. (tomorrow night)

Well think that you've got the equivalent of 7 litres of grape juice stuffed into 4.54 litres, will be full bodied hopefully, might take a while to mature with the amount of tannin in there. I'd leave the currants for a week at least, might even get port like.

Well think that you've got the equivalent of 7 litres of grape juice stuffed into 4.54 litres, will be full bodied hopefully, might take a while to mature with the amount of tannin in there. I'd leave the currants for a week at least, might even get port like.

Too late, just finished straining. The pulp is nigh on tasteless now so hopefully it was long enough.

One extreme to the other, will use half the current next time.

Sg Is down to 1.0 already and tastes great already had a sip of the trial jar. Will leave it a long while, I see clearing being a problem as I blended the current, didn't mince or chop, it'd chucking sediment already after an hour.

Tastes STRONG

racked and degassed last night - and , well, the flavour is asking a LOT of questions..

It's nice, will possibly end up like some sort of weird currant sherry but I'm not sure if I could drinnk more than a glass or two at most..

May blend this one with one of the pure grape batches I've got bubbling away, bringing the currant equivalent down to 500g per gallon.

still showing no signs of clearing, with only a tiny solid layer at the bottom and not changing, so have added finings.

Will see what happens, still not sure this is going to be drinkable :whistle:

bottled tonight, and its, well, ehm, VERY fruity.

Overpowering currant, really not pleasant at all. Will try a bottle on @richytrue as he'll drink anything, and stick the rest away for 6 months.

Ahem, "nearly" anything...

bottled tonight, and its, well, ehm, VERY fruity.

Overpowering currant, really not pleasant at all. Will try a bottle on @richytrue as he'll drink anything, and stick the rest away for 6 months.

Back