My best T/C to date

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrie

Reaction score
Fed up with turbo cider turning into the sort of stuff that takes the enamel off your teeth and after many experiments I've finally found one I like.

5l apple juice
3/4 apples ( depending on size )
1/2 pears ( ditto )
2 bananas
1 tin strawberries in light syrup.
All purpose yeast, nutrient, pectolise.

Wash, core and dice the apples and pears, wash the bananas and cut the ends off then slice with skins and all. Open tin of strawberries.
Add all fruit to a pan, cover in apple juice, slowly bring to a boil and simmer for 5 mins.
In the meantime make a starter bottle with juice, and yeasty bits.
Put the pan contents into a 5l bucket with 2 more litres of apple juice and at the right temperature add yeast starter.
After 3 days use a sterilised slotted spoon to scoop out the fruit, add rest of apple juice and leave it to do it's own thing.
Once finished let it rest for a couple of days then rack off and use your finings. Once clear just bottle and rather than prime just rely on a natural bit of gas from not degassing ( i'm not keen on over gassy ciders )
The taste test on bottling was a good clear cider that didn't make you screw your face up, It had a bit of body to it and a faint strawberry after taste.
I think I'm going to be making quite a bit of this one for the summer.
Many thanks for reading
Lawrie

Back