brewnight - 1st wow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWoolf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First WOW started tonight

2 x Ltr of Morrisons Grape, apple and raspberry ( 40% WGJ, 40% apple, 10% RGJ, 10% raspberry)
1/2 Ltr morrison Grapefuit juice
900G sugar dissolved in 500ml water
strong cup o T (3 x yorkshire tea bags)
1tsp each, yeast, nutrient, pectolase, citric acid

Looks like a Rose

SG should be around 1120 - should hopefully finish around 13%

Fingers crossed

First WOW started tonight

2 x Ltr of Morrisons Grape, apple and raspberry ( 40% WGJ, 40% apple, 10% RGJ, 10% raspberry)
1/2 Ltr morrison Grapefuit juice
900G sugar dissolved in 500ml water
strong cup o T (3 x yorkshire tea bags)
1tsp each, yeast, nutrient, pectolase, citric acid

Looks like a Rose

SG should be around 1120 - should hopefully finish around 13%

Fingers crossed

Some flavours in there ;) Have you topped with water as ypu only have three litres plus the tea?

Did you use a hydrometer as 1120 sounds high for what you have used. If your starting sg is 1120 and you get it down to 0.990 then you are looking at 17%. :whistle:

I've done a WOW with just the Morrisons Grape, Apple and Raspberry, two cartons + sugar.

Turned out quite nice, decent chilled Rosé for summer drinking. A bit dubious about adding grapefruit juice to anything but then I don't really like grapefruit. If I were I think I'd leave out the citric acid. Sure it will be fine though.

Some flavours in there ;) Have you topped with water as ypu only have three litres plus the tea?

Did you use a hydrometer as 1120 sounds high for what you have used. If your starting sg is 1120 and you get it down to 0.990 then you are looking at 17%. :whistle:

Not topped up with water just yet, want to see how much foam it creates before topping up, will top up in a couple of days

Quite correct about the 1120 SG - Should read 1100.:thumb:

If you are going to degas leave topping up until you rack it you need a bit of space otherwise the released CO2 is going to make a right mess.

Grapefruit in wine can be quite a dominant flavour at 1/2 a litre you will certainly know it's in there, you also need to take care no one on various medications drinks it.

Just taken a reading off and its down to 1024 after 19 days. Quess it will need to be left for another week or so. Still has a healthy amount of "pond scum" (as the Missus likes to call it) floating on top.

Another reading taken and it only dropped to 1.020 ! Topped up with 1/2 Ltr of water as per advice given and even throw in another 1/4 Tsp of yeast to try to speed thing up - suspect the lower water volume and rising Alcohol is inhibiting the yeasties.

Little update to keep the post complete from start to fininsh - although the way this is going this could be a real slow burner:doh:

5 Weeks and counting, reading down to 1.018. Guess the fement hs stuck due to high temps or not topping up soon enough.

gave the brew a good shake to get out some CO2 and add some O2 and thrown in another Tsp of yeast and nurtient to try to kick start the ferment.

I have closed this as you have two threads running with the same problem being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back