Lager and cider brewed side by side taint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richs20a

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed different brews side by side and taints the taste?

I brewed lager in one fermenter and the other cider, they were next to each other. bottled pretty much the same day too due to them both clearing and the gravity being correct.

Now lager has a cider twang and the cider beer over tones, anyone heard of this b4???!!!!!

Me neither. Can't see how cross contamination would happen.

I'd hazard a guess that the lager is under conditioned and has acetaldehyde giving at a green apple cidery flavour. Perhaps the cider has a yeasty note to it?

Recipes? fermentation times and temps? How long since bottling?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Has anyone brewed different brews side by side and taints the taste?

I brewed lager in one fermenter and the other cider, they were next to each other. bottled pretty much the same day too due to them both clearing and the gravity being correct.

Now lager has a cider twang and the cider beer over tones, anyone heard of this b4???!!!!!

This does not sound very scientific to me. More likely both are a bit early for sampling yet. More details would help some sort of analysis, I feel.

What the brews were, what went in, what temperatures for fermenting and how long ago would be a good start?

This does not sound very scientific to me. More likely both are a bit early for sampling yet. More details would help some sort of analysis, I feel.

What the brews were, what went in, what temperatures for fermenting and how long ago would be a good start?

Or both have turned to vinegar so taste the same:lol:

Or both have turned to vinegar so taste the same:lol:

Yeah, possible, but that would not be a good outcome at all. 40-50L of weak vinegar might even last a lifetime.

Very funny

Very stringent on volumes and air space and cleanliness, both were racked just once.

Cider was made from concentrate from lidl but the recipe i followed to the letter from this forum for all qtys

Abv around 5% and both clear as a bell

Lager was a youngs basic lager kit. I know its only going to be a basic lager but again im quite maticulous.

Both have been in bottles 2 or 3 months, lager has been chillin around 4 degrees for about 2 weeks.

Yea might be a bit early maybe try again in 2 weeks

Very funny

Very stringent on volumes and air space and cleanliness, both were racked just once.

Cider was made from concentrate from lidl but the recipe i followed to the letter from this forum for all qtys

Abv around 5% and both clear as a bell

Lager was a youngs basic lager kit. I know its only going to be a basic lager but again im quite maticulous.

Both have been in bottles 2 or 3 months, lager has been chillin around 4 degrees for about 2 weeks.

Yea might be a bit early maybe try again in 2 weeks

OK, good information here, so not as may have first appeared.

I never had much luck with cider, but six months is not an unusual leave for turbo cider, from what I have read on the forum.

One can kit beers are probably not going to improve much beyond your 2-3 months timescales. I would suggest just drinking this one. Tough choice, though it is. :thumb:

Very strange... each fermenter should essentially be a sealed system where nothing can get in, or across the two units. Did you use blow off tubes into one water bottle/bowl? Or two separate airlocks? If it was two blow off tubes going in to one water bottle... maybe that could have transferred some aromas...? It's really unlikely, but my blow off water (I use boiled water) often smells beery when I throw it away after fermentation. If that was the case, however unlikely, the aromas should ease off once bottled and be undetectable in no time.

Yea its deff weird, no two separate airlocks

No matter guys onwaard and upwards

Onto my next few drews :)

Thanks though

Back