Gnarly Fox

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
I often get this lager from lidl if run out of HB. It's one of my favourite bottled beers. I wouldnt mind having a go at making it. The bottles says, "....combination of continental, American and British hops. Cunningly dry hopped and made with 100% british barley, this golden and refreshing lager has an exquisite honeyed citrus and mandarin aroma."

Anyone any ideas? It's not quite golden, kind of golden heading towards amber so perhaps their's some crystal in their. I think their might be a bit of EKG in their too and I can defiantely taste the orange/manderin flavour, so manderina bavaria? or maybe amarillo?

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe but it's one of my go to beers, like you, when I run out of HB so would be good to see if anyone has a clone recipe.

Unfortunately I don't have a recipe but it's one of my go to beers, like you, when I run out of HB so would be good to see if anyone has a clone recipe.

It's made by Marstons at the Wynchwood brewery, so I've just facebook messenger-ed them to ask them if they can give me any pointers. Who knows they might give me the whole recipe. Not holding my breath though

It's made by Marstons at the Wynchwood brewery, so I've just facebook messenger-ed them to ask them if they can give me any pointers. Who knows they might give me the whole recipe. Not holding my breath though

Ah marstons, it won't be heavily hopped then and will be cheap to clone :lol:

If you find out the hops it uses, actually I can send you an amarillo, manderina bavaria pellet (1 of each) in the post that should be good for 30 litres or so :thumb:

Ah marstons, it won't be heavily hopped then and will be cheap to clone :lol:

If you find out the hops it uses, actually I can send you an amarillo, manderina bavaria pellet (1 of each) in the post that should be good for 30 litres or so :thumb:

It defiantely isnt heavily hopped but then again its is a lager. But it is flavoursome enough

Nice beer. Only drunk it out of a bottle so i dont know what colour it is. Its thinner than my lagers and more delicate. Lots of flavour for a 4.5% beer. Surprised i liked it so much. I reckon its mashed low and finishes low as its quite dry. Not sure what yeast but something with high attenuation. Possibly Saaz for bittering or EKG as well or 15m and something USA for late addition.

This brewery.
50fdc9fb8396f7e35ae5512ebf82d90e.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

If yet to try this brew but it sounds a delectable tipple! And if a clone can be made then by-Jove it shall be. You good Sir show the initiative that makes this community so strong, so bold and not so sober !:whistle::twisted::lol:

I happen to have one of these in the fridge.

After a tasting my vote is on :

Warrior or challenger English bittering hop.

Saz or tettanger as the flavour/aroma hop. And then Amarillo dry hop (I mean like maybe a pellet or two, not much at all) to top it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M, I hope you follow the recipe to the letter...as well as the brew method. Incidentally what will be your strategy to dry hop the beer in a cunning manner?
I think a disguise would be helpful,a pair of soft carpet slippers would also help you sneak up on the fv and a spot of hiding behind the fridge wouldn't go amiss either...

Funnily enough this is the one in the range that I have steered clear of, the rest are hit or miss. I quite like the IPA and the porter and the wife thinks the ginger beer is better than crabbies, but the golden ale i really didn't like and had i guess the same expectations of the lager.

Anyway in the name of research I guess I will have to sample a few just to make sure. :)

I happen to have one of these in the fridge.

After a tasting my vote is on :

Warrior or challenger English bittering hop.

Saz or tettanger as the flavour/aroma hop. And then Amarillo dry hop (I mean like maybe a pellet or two, not much at all) to top it off.

Thanks for the input Hoddy. I've yet to try both saaz and amarillo, although I have saaz steam beer fermenting at the mo. I might follow your 'vote' and see how close it gets me. What do you think in malts? I'm guessing pale malt with perhaps one or two percent medium crystal

M, I hope you follow the recipe to the letter...as well as the brew method. Incidentally what will be your strategy to dry hop the beer in a cunning manner?
I think a disguise would be helpful,a pair of soft carpet slippers would also help you sneak up on the fv and a spot of hiding behind the fridge wouldn't go amiss either...

I was thinking of twiddling my mousache all victorian like as I chuck the dry hops in

Thanks for the input Hoddy. I've yet to try both saaz and amarillo, although I have saaz steam beer fermenting at the mo. I might follow your 'vote' and see how close it gets me. What do you think in malts? I'm guessing pale malt with perhaps one or two percent medium crystal

I think it's there or there about. Saz and challenger are dirt cheap. Because let's be honest at £1.20 a bottle in Aldi it's gotta be cheap to make. And waving an Amarillo hop flower over your lager gives you the "American" element.

I think malt wise your looking at lager malt rather than MO. I think it's not bready enough for it to be that. I think your right on the crystal. I would be inclined to go crystal 40 at about 80g on a 5-5.5kg batch. Whatever % that comes out at.

Whereas the yeast I think is something like a US05 fermented cool. Like a pseudo lager.

I don't think it's as complex as a lager yeast. And Defo not a pilsner yeast. And not a Cali common yeast (love a steam beer).

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the malt bill is exactly the same for the golden ale as it is for the "narly fox"

But that's just my deconstruction and my guess of the lager that has the worst name known to man.

I think it's there or there about. Saz and challenger are dirt cheap. Because let's be honest at �£1.20 a bottle in Aldi it's gotta be cheap to make. And waving an Amarillo hop flower over your lager gives you the "American" element.

I think malt wise your looking at lager malt rather than MO. I think it's not bready enough for it to be that. I think your right on the crystal. I would be inclined to go crystal 40 at about 80g on a 5-5.5kg batch. Whatever % that comes out at.

Whereas the yeast I think is something like a US05 fermented cool. Like a pseudo lager.

I don't think it's as complex as a lager yeast. And Defo not a pilsner yeast. And not a Cali common yeast (love a steam beer).

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the malt bill is exactly the same for the golden ale as it is for the "narly fox"

But that's just my deconstruction and my guess of the lager that has the worst name known to man.

Thanks again. Although I can construct a receipe I'm terrible at trying to deconstruct a beer. I too dont think it's either MO

I think you should stop being a tight **** and dry hop with 1 kg of nelson sauv and have done with it! Twiddling the tache is a devious plan.....you'll be tying some unfortunate work house wench to the railway tracks next....

I think you should stop being a tight **** and dry hop with 1 kg of nelson sauv and have done with it! Twiddling the tache is a devious plan.....you'll be tying some unfortunate work house wench to the railway tracks next....

I was thinking of dumping 1kg in at flame out and see what happens

@hoddy I definately think your right with saaz as the flavour/aroma hop. I've just tasted the gravity sample of a steam beer I made last week and the flavour is very reminiscent of GF. How many g of amarrillo dry hops would you think? Not huge amounts I'm guessing?

Back