It's my birthday and I'll brew if I want to

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers myqul. Yep, think she'll definitely be helping later, even if I want her to or not. Haha

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Batch sparged at 82c. Draining wort into boiler, getting next lot of water up to temp and onwards to the rolling boil and brew number 2.
4dce826ce6bc0d6cb75c27f2c0d86d46.jpg

Happy Birthday, and happy brewing.

Will be reading this through the day as I sit bored at work on a rainy day in south west Scotland.

Hit a tad higher. 66 will give you a dry beer. I'd start at 68 and it'll drop by a degree or 2 giving you a balance of sugars.
I have a HERMS so I can set and maintain my temps but you're doing the professional way, so you'll want to really dial in the temp.

Cheers sdt7618. Enjoy the read. And thanks for the advice japanbrew, I'll up it for the next one. Which I'm about to dough in.

Okay. Starting to get hectic. A lot going on at once, but it's all good. Doughed in at 66, didn't get to 68 but the recipe calls for 66 anyways. Wheat beer at rolling boil, first hops added. Hlt refilled and hearing up. Nearly ready for the next hop addition in the wheat. By the time it's cooled and in the fermenter, the raspberry will be ready to transfer to the boiler. And breathe.........
3212cbef2e084453aeff6ca3b6c7edc2.jpg

Keep cool and write down your steps as a check off list. That way you won't miss something

happy birthday. sing along - HBF lyrics are below. :grin:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3g0JmKceU[/ame]

cry if I want to.... a few times

nobody knows where my wheat beer has gone
but my saison went the same time.
who has been drinking my beer, when it's supposed to be mine.

It's my saison and I'll brew if I want to
Try if I want to, stay dry I don't want to
You would cry too if it happened to you

Drinking a shop beer, keep brewing all night
But leave me alone for a while
Until a Krausen has formed
I've got no reason to smile

It's my saison, and I'll cry if I want to
try if I want to, stay dry I don't want to

Nobody knows where my saison has gone,
but my wheat beer went the same time

so i'll cry if i want to x 3

Judy and Johnny just walked through the door
with a big shiny thing
Oh what (a brau-mei-ster/an all grain)* surprise
my plastics going in the bin!

Cry if I want to, cry if I want to
You would cry too someone drank all your brew.

* - choose your preferred line.

Loving the change of lyrics. Right, chiller in, last hop additions added. Mash going along nicely. water boiled and cooling. Nearly time to start chilling down the wort. Gonna try and get it as low as possible. Supposedly this yeast works well when chilled to about 12c and warmed up slowly
aacf686fbdab394ac94d0b0c9124d15d.jpg

Hit a tad higher. 66 will give you a dry beer. I'd start at 68 and it'll drop by a degree or 2 giving you a balance of sugars.
I have a HERMS so I can set and maintain my temps but you're doing the professional way, so you'll want to really dial in the temp.

Does 2°make that much difference.?
Might be why all my beers are different.
I just figured as long as it's hot water it will do the job. I've even read of folk using cold water to sparge with.
Or are you referring to mashing?

I just figured as long as it's hot water it will do the job. I've even read of folk using cold water to sparge with.

Supposedly.. To be honest its pretty tricky to get a 100% accurate because your sensor could be in a ever so slightly hotter place than the other ect.. just make sure you stir everything really well..

If in doubt shoot for 67

I am normally about 68-67 when I dough in and that slowly decays to 66 maybe even 65 over the mash period.

Cheers leon103. It's come out at 1044. Thought it might be a tad higher but it's all a learning curve at this moment. I think I under sparged by 2 litres or so to. I lost count so thought I'd under do it then over. Means I won't have to bottle any, as my kegs are 19l. Tasting pretty decent and looks like a wheat. Air stone on and waiting temp to drop further a before I pitch. Onto thr next one.....
333367ab7f892789a3fef70845a8fe11.jpg
d887e37be10dc314afe8649eb81900e9.jpg

Different enzymes are working. Full body beers are 67 to 69. Dry 63 to 67. You get both enzymes working at around 66. Again, based on your system. If you're mashing at 67 68 but your final gravity is low, dry, then next time mash with 2 degrees up and see what changes. I was losing 2 degrees from my hoses.

First set of hops going into the raspberry IPA. Water still boiling in the hlt. Hopefully all done by 5. I'll be happy with that.

Happy birthday and keep Er lit.I done a three brew day before Christmas and had a hectic day all in about 14 hours then.
Since then I've​upgraded to a 32 pot,52 litre mash tun and just received my Burco boiler 30 litre about 20 mins ago which I hope to incorporate into a RIMS.Enjoy your day.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Cheers gerryjo. Slight mistake made with the next grain bill. I mixed up the bags and added 500g of pilsner malt. Oh well, just have to see if it makes much of a difference. Raspberry IPA now getting chilled and hops added at 80c. Water cooled and ready to add to mash. Happy with the day so far, couple of hiccups but it's all part of the fun.
6a28ad633cfe87a56e445e9b08f0b81a.jpg

The raspberry has come out at 1054. Wasn't expecting it to be that high. Recipe says 1047!?!? Once again, tastes good, rather hoppy. Doughed in for the neipa and I'm on the home straight.
ecfb02abb87911cac946fcadcf8d6cff.jpg

Cheers Jfb. Right, I got the og wrong it's supposed to be 1060 in the recipe, I was looking at pre boil gravity. So I'm still a bit far away.

Latest posts

Back