Secondary or not ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvt_ak

Budding Brewer !
Reaction score
Been reading up today on the pros and cons for putting your beer into a secondary once the fermentation rush finishes.

I'm seeing more benefits in not putting into a secondary.

What's the views from you folks who've been doing this a long time ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure this will be a debate.

Personally, The only transfer I ever do is to bottling bucket on top of priming solution.. Unless you are aging or adding something I am not sure if there is much benefit to a secondary at least to outweight any negatives you could incur.

Although if you are to secondary for a long time according to John Palmer it must be glass.

I asked a similar question a while back and got mixed answers like transferring into secondary is good to get the beer off everything that's settled at the bottom of the FV and will also help it clear. The other side of the argument was that you open up the possibility of nasties getting into your beer etc.

Personally I transfer into secondary for about a week which seems to help it clear and have not had any bad experiences so far. I would also transfer into secondary if I was going to dry hop.

I either transfer to a bottling bucket or straight into the PB onto the priming sugar, I did try racking to secondary for clearing when I first started, but personally I don't see the need.

If I am dry hopping, then I do that in a secondary, if I am intending on reusing the yeast. If not it goes straight to the bottling bucket onto the priming solution.

3 weeks in the FV. No peeking under the lid,taking samples etc. Though I recently started dry hopping so no choice but to lift the lid so it's done at ninja speed, no farting around. Then when ready, drop into another FV as bottling bucket with priming sugar via a tube attached to the tap. No aeration. That's my routine.

Depends a little bit on the style and amount I have brewed. My batches are between 5l and 10l. 5l I transfer to a DJ, 6l i transfer to a special plastic container of 6l. Larger batches I mostly do not transfer, although I have done it for my saison to dry hop. I have a Leffe clone which I like to transfer to secondary because then it clears better from yeast.

Just work hygienically, clean everything and take your time. I currently brew 2 years, and did several transfers, haven't had a bad batch yet. I try to be meticulously clean.

Thanks folks . I'm going to do a 20l on Monday. I think I'll run with the leave it in primary for a few weeks no peaking and then only transfer when onto priming solution for bottling as suggested above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dry hop in my primary for 5/7 days,rack it off,leave for another 4 days then rack into my bottling FV batch primed. So far,not had any problems at all with two rackings and all i can say is my beers seem to clear very well!
I consider myself still a bit of a novice even after two years,but do people get rather paranoid about Nasties getting in!
My last batch of bitter when racked had a small fly firmly attached to the FV side:-o,bottled it anyway and
It's fine:lol:

Nope, only done the secondary thing once for a Brewferm kit because the instructions said so though to be honest even with that one I'm not sure I'd bother again.

Reasons not too:

1. Additional step that takes time and effort.
2. Risk of introducing nasties to the beer.
3. But the time I've keg/bottled + conditioned my beer is always crystal clear so I really don't see the need.

I do use a bottling bucket if bottling but it's simply a case of syphoning the beer off the sediment into the bottling bucket with sugar solution added, give it a gentle stir, then bottle.

Only other reason I could see it being beneficial is if using a yeast with poor flocculation properties but anything I brew with drops out and packs down well.

Secondary​ for dry hopping only.

Racking to secondary (purely for clearer beer) is a PITA and a risk too.

If clearer beer is important to you, you could always cold crash the primary prior to bottling.

I dont cold crash (at least in fermentor) or secondary and I get clear beer.. not saying it doesn't help. I have found clarity has came from other methods personally.

I don't​ cold crash either to be honest. Not too fussed how clear my beer is.

Taste rules!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I dont cold crash (at least in fermentor) or secondary and I get clear beer.. not saying it doesn't help. I have found clarity has came from other methods personally.

Me neither. I don't knowingly use any method to achieve clarity post-fermentation, except time. Two weeks is usually more than sufficient!

After 60 odd brews racking to 2ndry I've recently stopped bothering, but do cold crash the primary.
Pleased with the time saving.

I don't bother with secondary either, the only time I would is if I needed to do a big dry hop and also needed to harvest the yeast.

For those who rack to a secondary to help clearing, what's the theory behind that? How does it clear quicker in a second vessel?

Necessary if you're making a big beer and need to age it and keep it off the yeast cake. Or if you plan on Lagering a smaller brew in bulk.

For anything else it's optional depending on your thoughts/feelings about clarity.

I regularly leave my brews on the yeast cake for three weeks or more. Here's why;

1. I don't have a brew fridge, so it gives the yeast an opportunity to clean up minor off flavours.

2. I don't have the time to faff around with racking.

3. Less oxygen exposure( If you bottle straight from the secondary and don't rack a to another bucket then I guess this point doesn't apply)

Latest posts

Back