Will it brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually think you got the worst option there. Not much you can do other than add post brew and let it ferment out. Even then retaining the flavour in a good way might be tricky, suspect there is a load of chemical flavours in it.

Were the fuggles from the beer nouveau motherload?

Hoppy red ale protein beer for the blood?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

You guessed it sadfield. Steve and his fuggles eh! Might have known. He ended up with my porcini mushrooms says hell have the beer on at his place when its ready.

Well I ended up with a bottle of tropical flavour fizzy pop. All I can think of doing with it is boil it down to a syrup and prime a few bottles with it, I'm Gona have another go at a NEIPA I think.

I'm sure there's a recipe in the Home Brew Recipe Bible by Chris Colby which uses soda (can't remember which soda but it was a US one) and also a recipe using Jolly Ranchers (I think Spangles are our equivalent) which are melted down and used in a brew.

Edit: just checked. It's a recipe for mountain dew saison. Apparently MD is 100% fermentable and has few preservatives. Make, what looks like, a normal saison up to 8 litres in the fv and ferment. When fermentation dies down, pour 11 litres MD into secondary fv, let carbonation die down and siphon saison onto the soda for secondary ferment. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ressurecting an old thread but have been watching Barley & Hops on youtube where he has been making a sweet potato mash for other reasons but has intrigued me to get brewing again so as to sample out of curiosity and make a sweet potato beer as it requires no grain as it has it's own Alpha and Beta amylase to break down starches to sweet sugar for the yeast to munch on.Here'sthe link if anyone is interested.

I was looking at shredless marmalade, thinking will it brew! :hmm:

I couldn't see any preservatives mentioned in the ingredients list and would the bitter orange flavour mean I didn't need bittering hops?

My missus is a big fan of Lakeland - the over-priced emporium for kitchen tat you never knew existed.
They sell tins that make about 6 pounds of marmalade (decent stuff, BTW) and I have chucked in a pound or more of this marmalade into light and dark beers. It is more or less possible to discern a difference to just adding sugar, but it provides no real bittering as far as I can tell. No need to fuss over the peel as it drops out OK in primary.

Latest posts

Back