Are you boiling mad?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Druncan

Senior Moments
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been revisiting the IPA Brewing techniques book and noticed this about the boil;

"The Burton practice was unique in that low-intensity boils were used (1800's) In fact, the wort kettles were deliberately undersized to prevent a boil so intense that it foamed out of the kettle. This long, low-intensity boil, more a simmer than the intense boils we look for today, was used to minimize any color development through Maillard reactions. The goal was to make the wort as light in color as possible, and that meant using low-color malt and low-intensity boils."

I understood that a vigorous boil with the sweet wort and rolling boil caused the best hot break.

Just wondering if anyone just aims for gentle simmers to keep beers lighter coloured? What duration would you use?

What effect would that have if you then 'no chill'?

A correct pH slows down Maillard reactions, and thus colouring of the wort while boiling.
The brewing world would not know about pH and Maillard reactions until the beginning of the twentieth century. But it is very probable that they knew out of experience that heating the wort a little bit less would colour it also much less.
That is also the reason that in modern times this is not necessary, we adjust our pH, and because of that the colouring through cooking is much less.
See also [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VcZRVw2k_o[/ame] at 8:55.

I just stop the mash / switch the boiler off when I think it's done or I get bored, whichever occurs soonest. It's usually the latter but the ale's still smashing lol.

Back