Jokey box ****

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desmnd

Reaction score
Bought this from home brew on line. This is a cooler box where you put cold water and frozen jell packs into a box. This sounds great to keep your beer cold. There is a very long tube in side (holding about 2 pints), the idea is a pub cooler. The tube is supposed to fit onto the special narrow tap. It would take a miracle to get this on. Tried boiling water to soften the tube as you would do if you bought a siphon tube and separate tube. NO WAY. The tap could have been designed with a shamper so that the tube would have a chance of getting on.

plastic tube??? plastics not known for its good thermal transfer qualities.. a SS coil would be best, its basically the same concept as a shelf chiller. with copper tube it would need less than 2m imho (based on herms coil length) but copper can react unfavourably with some beers.
Its an expensive way to chill as you need a few bags of ice to chill the coil and prime for each session, and dont forget to stir while you pour to avoid 'cold fingers' (honest thats the term for cooler water hugging a hex coil)

tho if not happy and bough online return it under distance selling rules,

a cheap n easy method of matting two tubes that wont be under huge pressure is a short length of silicone tube with a slightly smaller inside diameter ;) cable ties or jubilee clips can be used to strengthen the seal..

wrong time of year but an ebay bargain shelf chiller is a good deal, and you dont need to run for hours, i run one for 30-40 mins of an evening til it hits 0c to chill an evenings pourings for myself.. the waterbath retains the cool ;) the ice wall is only needed to keep up with rush hour demand in a busy bar... I keep meaning to mod it so i can power the recirc pump independently to avoid the cold fingres when the compressor is off.

yes I agree. This invention was not thought through to the end. You would have to keep pulling the tube off to clean key. Over a period of time this would wear out.

What is needed is a garden hose approach with a rubber connection with a Jubilee clip.

Just found this on the home brew on line website

Will require adapting for fitting to a King Keg Top Tap which may be awkward and require some DIY work.

Latest posts

Back