Red Grape and Honey Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
I guess this is Melomel strictly but got the idea of the net and found a bottle of grape concentrate i had bought.

1 gallon
1020g honey
2l red grape juice
250ml Wilko red grape concentrate
pectolase
yeast nutrient
Lalvin yeast

Is this going to be too sweet anyone? @tau

I guess this is Melomel strictly but got the idea of the net and found a bottle of grape concentrate i had bought.

1 gallon
1020g honey
2l red grape juice
pectolase
yeast nutrient
Lalvin yeast

Depends on the yeast you use, sugar with grape will be about 1340g so about 15% or there around abouts at 0.990. So no sweetness,

Lalvin D47 should top out at 14% which could leave a bit of sweetness behind. The guys on basic brewing radio did an experiment with yeasts for mead and their favourite was Wyeast 1056 American Ale, ran to 12% so had a good sweetness from an OG of around 1.100 ish.

Honey and grape is called a pyment; grape and apple meads get special names rather than melomel for some reason. Sounds very tasty regardless, a red pyment is on my brewing wish list.

1 gallon
1020g honey
2l red grape juice
pectolase
yeast nutrient
Lalvin yeast

How much does the concentrated grape juice equate to as I buy my grape juice from lidl - what are the advantages of using that concentrate apart from less storage space

How much does the concentrated grape juice equate to as I buy my grape juice from lidl - what are the advantages of using that concentrate apart from less storage space

The must is a lot darker than it would of been and hopefully going to have a fuller bodied wine. First time i used the stuff to be honest but its super sweet. 2l red grape,1kg honey and a bottle of concentrate made up 3l at OG 1156. Once fermentation slows will top up with 1l more of red grape juice or maybe 50/50 juice and water.

The must is a lot darker than it would of been and hopefully going to have a fuller bodied wine. First time i used the stuff to be honest but its super sweet. 2l red grape,1kg honey and a bottle of concentrate made up 3l at OG 1156. Once fermentation slows will top up with 1l more of red grape juice or maybe 50/50 juice and water.

If it doesn't have to much mouth feel try adding some glycerin :)

If it doesn't have to much mouth feel try adding some glycerin :)

Thanks i should try it again. Did once add to my cider but couldnt really tell the difference then i lost the bottle. Its one of those things i dont remember buying but i like to experiment. The wine made from Lidl grape juice was perfect for mulling but too dry for my taste. Would backsweeten next time.

Lalvin D47 should top out at 14% which could leave a bit of sweetness behind. The guys on basic brewing radio did an experiment with yeasts for mead and their favourite was Wyeast 1056 American Ale, ran to 12% so had a good sweetness from an OG of around 1.100 ish.

Honey and grape is called a pyment; grape and apple meads get special names rather than melomel for some reason. Sounds very tasty regardless, a red pyment is on my brewing wish list.

Ec-1118 will go to a higher Abv and will tolerate lower and higher brewing temps :)

Latest posts

Back