Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd use the cascade to go with Marris Otter as the other hops are really lagertype hops so you'd want to use pilsner/lager/munich/vienna base malt with them.
As for the yeast sure. Harvest some of the US-05 and chuck it in this brew 40ml-50ml should do the trick for 5L brewlength

excellent thanks.

Jackeyboi, check out some vids on collecting your yeast after each brew. You can use the same strain for about 10 pitches. You could probably do more but I wouldn't push it.
You'll find vids on washing your yeast which I used to do but it adds stress to the yeast. Now I just collect in one large, sterile, jar. Let sit for an hour or two then pour the top part into another sterile jar. That top part is the active yeast. After, just put in your fridge and you can store them up to 3 months. Some do longer but again, I wouldn't push it.

i will be definitely doing this method, thanks

Having my second attempt at this. Defo got the weights right this time.

Currently waiting gfor the rolling boil....

my local microbrewery collect and re-pitch the yeast pancake from the bottom of the FV....so they do not separate solids.

Well I Kegged/bottled my first stove batch yesterday. Got about 8 lites in the end at about 3.9 4%.

Have to say it tasted lovely.

Looking forward to having a proper taste in a few weeks.

Also splashed out on a Peco boiler for a bigger batch next time

great post
I went from kit to biab now I got a Micro Brewery
what a different from a kit the taste aroma and knowing you made it from scratch

Does the original recipe use crushed Maris otter or whole grains?
Sorry if this is obvious to the more experienced.
I looked at quite a lot of pages before asking. Can't see it mentioned anywhere.

Does the original recipe use crushed Maris otter or whole grains?
Sorry if this is obvious to the more experienced.
I looked at quite a lot of pages before asking. Can't see it mentioned anywhere.

Crushed. You will ALWAYS use crushed grain. Theres no circumstance where you will use whole grain in AG brewing

Nah, you really just need a pot and a bag. The rest of it you can use what you already have for kits and stuff around the kitchen (even for full 23L brews)
that is all I had a 50ltr pot a bag to fit fv and a pb and done the brew on the kitchen cooker and I got some good brews from this
it was only due to ill health I got a ace micro brewery

Bit late now, I made the brew a few weeks ago :-(

I have a few kilos of Maris otter here ready for the next brew too :-(

Update: actually the brewed ones are crushed!!! Yesssss

I do have about 6kg here whole though

Ordered Maris otter and yeast yesterday. Can't wait to have a go. Hoping they come before the weekend.
Going to stick to the recipe Clibit originally posted to get a base line.
I have a beer works presidents sierra kit on the go at the moment. Going to dry hop this with mosaic, instead of the citra that comes with it and then use mosaic in my first AG brew.
Hopefully if all goes well, I will be able to see a difference.
I'd never of dreampt of being able to do this if it wasn't for Clibit's thread and Slid putting a link to it in a beer kit thread.
Got enough for three 5ltr brews. Hoping to get something reasonable by brew 3.

I'd never of dreampt of being able to do this if it wasn't for Clibit's thread and Slid putting a link to it in a beer kit thread.

Same here. Neither would I!

I have 10l of the original recipe stewing in the shed.

Planning a bigger brew soon with a single hop recpie from the greg whatshisface beer book.

Which reminds me, I need to post a question...

Got all the necessary ingredients ready.
Persueded the missus that she needed a new bigger sieve. She's baffled by my sudden interest in cookware.
Planning on giving it a go Monday. I'll have time to cope with whatever crops up there (I hope).
Using US pale ale yeast from Crossmyloof brewery. Assume this is OK.
Yeast comes in 10g packs, so 1/3 of a pack should do for 5ltrs.
Can't wait to get going now.:cheers::cheers:

Only came across it a few days ago myself, whilst reading a thread on beer kits. Slid had put a link to this thread.
Read the whole lot now and have learned so much in theory (the practice starts Monday).
There is so much good information and experience coming from other forum members.
I will take some pics of the brew as long as my hands aren't stuck together.

Latest posts

Back