Kenridge Showcase New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc 16 Litre Wine Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dublin12

Regular.
Reaction score
Having completed a rather lacklustre CC Malbec with 7.5 L juice I decided to just go for the most fancy kit I could buy and see how good these kits go before moving onto Beer.

Started today. A mere €111 delivered. Apparently it has recently been rebranded Atmosphere now and the price has been raised on the new branding but the one I have is the original Showcase box.

So pour all 16L of the juice into the FV (27L Better Bottle), add Bentonite and stir, top up to 23L with water (using some to rinse out the bag). Using bottled still water as usual.

Having added 23L of fluid the next thing i did was to drop the glass thermometer into it - luckily it stayed intact. I doubt mercury would do the taste much good. Resisted the urge to put arm in to get it out and slowly managed to retrieve it using my degasser.

Just waiting for it to warm in the fermfridge a little to > 20.0 degrees before pitching the Lalvin K1-V1116 yeast.

Edit: Having consulted with Vinotinto and using a tip from Chewie I have decided to add some sugar and a little water to A: gain ABV (advertised 12% is a little weak) and B: brew up to 24.5 L approx so that when I rack to my 23L better bottler I wont have an air gap for the 42 days ...

The brew temp for this is 22.5c

kenridge_showcase_white_wine_kit.jpg

Takes 42 days so this is a long haul. Plus it would appear that kits need 6 months of conditioning before drinking .... grrr.

Yep - your pinot noir is 7.5L , this one is double that, came in a massive box, and accordingly double the price (same maker - Vineco).

I could buy a 7.5L kit then make 11 litres with it - that might be a plan for the future.

Ok. Surprisingly I had 1090 before adding anything. Added in 760 g sugar dissolved in a pot of 1.25 L water. Result in SG of 1100. Pitched yeast at 22.5C exactly. Hopefully it will all be grand.

Took its time getting going then all of a sudden all the yeast dropped off the top.

20161117_114909.jpg

Ok so Day 10 out of 42. Says rack today if < 1020. It's actually .999 so good to go.

(The 65w greenhouse heater/tube in the fermfridge is doing its best to keep the temp up to 22 but it is struggling considering it is 1c outside)

20161123_094507.jpg

Tastes exactly like fresh cloudy apply juice mixed with some alcohol, could easily quit now and it would be drinkable I think to a high standard.

Definitely the right thing to add liquid and sugar. Happy with the amount of space in the 23.5L second FV (the Primary Fv was 27.5L) as when I have to rack again later there will be hardly any gap.

Next update is in 14 days.

So we are at day 23 of 42 and the wine has calmed down and partially cleared - no more activity and a nice silt at the bottom.

Next stage is degassing and clearing for a period of a whopping 16 days !

20161206_113048.jpg

Degassing took a laborious 40 minutes - incredibly fizzy.
It now needs another 2 days of stirring (with 50% of the kieselsol and 50% of the stabiliser in it)

20161206_130906.jpg

Unlike the Cellar 7 Cab Sauvingnon kit I recently finished , 23 days from opening the kit box this one tastes exactly like a proper white wine and it has a heck of a kick to it ! Really looking forward to this one.

If the instructions do not tell you to rack don't, i asked this about a kit when i first started and was told the same, there will be a reason why they do not tell you to rack so i would go with the instructions especially as its not a cheap kit.

I had to edit my original post - I was reading wrong set of instructions !! Was just about to tip in sachet 4 and as there is a sachet 3 an alarm bell finally went off in the brain ...so decided to re-read the instructions - was reading wrong stage !

So says 2 weeks for clarifying - this is after 24 hours (notice that airspace management....)

20161209_072853.jpg

All done - tastes not bad at all considering it needs a good 4 months before drinking any.

20161222_122820.jpg

I much prefer the clear bags to the silver ones. You can fill a lot easier with the clear ones and also squeeze out the air easier. Also if you click the tap in to the second ring (not all the way in ) you can reuse them later. I use the 3L boxes so I can get them in the fridge.

Check out our sponsors site -

We predominantly utilise historical European Oak (identical to French Oak) that is in excess of 100 years old, is bought at exclusive auctions held annually and we do not use any artificial products in our produce. Every single barrel is made to an exacting standard, pressure tested and quality control checked.
We gave good price, and Free shipping, visti our Website for more information

https://decentbarrels.co.uk/barrels.ehtml

So tried a glass of this last night direct from a bib. This actually tasted like purchased wine. I had had a glass last week and it was not as nice. This is the first time a glass of homebrew had tasted like the genuine thing. Ironically I have sort of gone dry recently but when I fall of the waggon I reckon these kits are the way forward.

Latest posts

Back