Ginger beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what yeast that is, I've had good results using gervin wine yeast from wilkos and youngs champagne yeast.

Just use what you have that's what I do, my ginger beer and ginger went down well at a recent party. Both of which were brewed with wine yeast.

gl0ckage said:
Not sure what yeast that is, I've had good results using gervin wine yeast from wilkos and youngs champagne yeast.

Just use what you have that's what I do, my ginger beer and ginger went down well at a recent party. Both of which were brewed with wine yeast.

ok thanks bud ... :thumb: .

regards mick.... :hat: .

Hey guys, after doing a little bit of digging on here, youtube and google in general, I've combined a few recipes.

I like the Idea of a malty ginger beer. (recipe below is for a 5g batch, I will however make a smaller batch and test it first.)

1kg Fresh grated ginger
5tsp Dried ground ginger (maybe... I might omit this if its too fiery)
1tsp Cream of tartar
2 lemons
2 limes
2kg Light Spraymalt
500g sugar
2tsp Yeast nutrient

Decided to go for malt and sugar because means I don't have to split a bag and leave that sitting around until I find a use for it... Will this be alright using both I mean?
Now I prefer a ginger flavour but not the silly strong burn, in this recipe do you think there'd be too much heat?

Most heat comes from cayenne with ginger having a sort of astringent throat kick just before the cayenne hits you.

Seems like a good recipe be careful with the lime and lemon, they made a ginger beer with only 500g sugar into a 15% wine.

Yours would make a pale ale with a high ginger kick. Not traditional ginger beer but something along the lines of a on tap ginger infusion IPA. Omit maybe 1 citrus fruit, blend the ginger and citrus together and continue as normal. I do not boil mine or chop now as the flavour is not as intense.

I prefer to use fresh ginger, but use add a little dried at a time as you can't take away.

So maybe no dried, 1.5kg+ fresh blended ginger. I use a food processor and hand blender. Add a lit boiling water to speed up the blending.

Few questions there sorry! :P
1. IPA?
2. You don't boil it? Sooo just blitz it all together and fire into a Demi and that gives you more of a ginger flavour?

Cheers Tim!
Had a wee read through the link, sounds like a beer I might actually like!

I have started a very similar recipe to this in a 10 ltr drum with air lock, Its been 5 days now and airlock is not bubbling, theres lots of bubbles rising in brew ,just wondering why air lock is not bubbling, maybe its escaping elsewhere, can't find anything like that though. This is my first effort.

I brewed a 5g batch of cider not to long ago and got no activity at all from the airlock, the co2 will be getting out around the lid, it's nothing to worry about, take a hydro reading to be sure something's happening :thumb:

Theres plenty of activity in brew , lots of bubbles , How long should i leave before i sifon in to new brew bucket ? Also when should i bottle? I don't want explosive beer either lol, well not exploding bottles anyway. Now 5 days old.
Hydrometer reading 1.040.

depending on the yeast it should go a lot further yet. beer yeast and it'll get below 1.010, champagne yeast and it could go lower than 0.995 - leave it at least another week, if it looks stopped take readings three days running. if it's nearly at 1.000, and the same reading for three days then it's probably fully fermented. Then rack to another/secondary FV - leave for a while to clear. then bottle

Well I couldn't wait, got my trial 2L batch on the go, no spraymalt though, just enough sugar to take it to ~4.5%
Smells lovely and it's only 1 day in lol :p

Looking for a good ginger beer recipe - anyone else tried this recipe or got a decent recipe for a 25l batch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently you'll need this stuff for 'real' ginger beer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O9VB6GI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here's a simple one: http://www.instructables.com/id/The-REAL-ginger-beer-recipe/

This one is very similar the ginger beer recipe in Booze river cottage book https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jun/29/how-make-real-ginger-beer

I'd follow the recipe, multiply the volume to the amount you're making, once done I'd then add more sugar and another yeast to increase abv, as gbp only handles low abv.

@Personal91 makes a lot of GB maybe he has some recipes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for a good ginger beer recipe - anyone else tried this recipe or got a decent recipe for a 25l batch ?

I'll find the 1 I use on here and tell you what I tweak to get it gd ;)

Apparently you'll need this stuff for 'real' ginger beer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00O9VB6GI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here's a simple one: http://www.instructables.com/id/The-REAL-ginger-beer-recipe/

This one is very similar the ginger beer recipe in Booze river cottage book https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/jun/29/how-make-real-ginger-beer

I'd follow the recipe, multiply the volume to the amount you're making, once done I'd then add more sugar and another yeast to increase abv, as gbp only handles low abv.

@Personal91 makes a lot of GB maybe he has some recipes.

I'll be able to update you with a new way I have tried actually later today once I get a taste as have some in the fermenter at the moment as it goes. Its Cheap enough and after a go or 2 you really will have the hang of it.

My advice is don't waste your time with a small btch , just make a 25 litre version and if it isn't as you like it just mess about with it

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be able to update you with a new way I have tried actually later today once I get a taste as have some in the fermenter at the moment as it goes. Its Cheap enough and after a go or 2 you really will have the hang of it.

My advice is don't waste your time with a small btch , just make a 25 litre version and if it isn't as you like it just mess about with it

Thanks gents - definitely going to up scale to 25l batch. Looking forward to the recipe [emoji106]

Back