uk holiday prices

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im guessing it has a lot to do with Brexit,
but the cost of a holiday in the uk has got extortionate..

weve been going to cornwall for the past 3 years. average cost of accommodation for 1 week has been approx ��£250 upwards,depending on location and sea view etc .
last year we stayed in a nice "coastguard cottage" in Mevagissey, cornwall.
the cost for the week was ��£350,,, unfortunately i fell ill, so it was ruined,
ive tried to rebook it again this year, same dates same week same cottage,
the new price is ��£600 for the week..!!!!!!
thats nearly double,,

ive had a look on sites for other places to go,and the average is now ��£450 a week. so a little disappointed that our cheap uk holiday is no longer cheap :-(
there are still some cheap places to stay, but these look like places the grandparents have just passed away ,and its been advertised as cosy,still having two high sided chairs in front of the fire :-?

Does any of you have anywhere decent to stay you can recommend,?

I cant really help you here as I am over the irish sea but our prices in the north do tend to be cheaper than the rest of the uk.

My problem is that it used to be a cheap trip for me to go down south but with brexit the currency rate is terrible now so it is more expensive. ROI is not expensive to eat out or for fuel but their booze price is atrocious. I think they try to encourage people to the pub rather than drink at home.

Wow, I didnt realize it was so expensive to stay in cornwall. I usually go to newquay every 4-6 months as Mrs MQ's parents live there so we stay in their spare room. The train fare down there from London is expensive enough. So I'm glad we get free accomodation. I knew we we pretty luck getting a really cheap holiday I didnt quite realize how lucky we are

£350 for a week anywhere on the south coast is very cheap. We go to Devon and /or Cornwall every year and depending if it's just us or with friends and when the holiday ranges anything from around £600 to £1500. The upper price would be a house that sleeps 8 with hot tub;private parking,pool access in August.

Cheers

Clint

When we let our house we used www.cottageguide.co.uk They are an advertising site only, with customers contacting owners direct. We only paid to advertise on an annual basis and paid no commission.
They advertise properties nationwide.

Camping?? these days walk in family tents are ��£100 or less and a couple of diidy dome tents for kids, and campsites all over cater to different needs.

its been a few years since i was last camping in cornwall (10 at least) but there was a great campsite not far from lands end on the coast road, Richard Trevithicks (beam) steam engine or at least one of them is housed in a national trust funded building on the site of an old mine on the coast just down the rd from the site, Basic with loos showers and fridges n freezers for campers to use, ran buy a woman and her old Mam. Pub on the corner opposite the site too ;) Might be where the worlds first car exploded too ;)

we stopped camping a 4 years ago when the the kids were old enough to stay at home,its the best holiday when the weather is good, but **** when it rains for a week,

we stopped camping a 4 years ago when the the kids were old enough to stay at home,its the best holiday when the weather is good, but **** when it rains for a week,

That brought back memories ... :thumb:

... sitting in a caravan in Seahouses with the rain lashing off the caravan and playing every known sort of "bored" game with the kids. :doh:

It was the same weekend that they lost all those people on the Fastnet Race so I guess we were the lucky ones!

with kids on-tow its not so easy to duck into a nice cosy pub for a days idle chatter and sampling true..

surely tho a miserable cloudy wet day should suit 'gothy' moody teens like a lambs wool glove ;) aint they the happiest when full of gloom and anti olds ammunition ;)

If all else fails, and I mean all else, there's always Butlins. For maximum effect it's got to be the Skeggy one!

Ah, brilliant!
You've just uncovered a distant memory of Skeggy Butlins c1967. My parents entered me in the 25yd swimming race in the outdoor pool. I was late to the start and the swimmers were already on their way so I dived in and joined them ( I was seven years old btw...) , upshot is that I won !
So full of pride I emerged from the pool to discover that I had joined the girls race !
Butlins were ever so good and gave me a mask and snorkel as a 'winners' prize.
Happy days...:oops:

Caravaning for me

DSC_0750.jpg

we once turned up at a campsite in south wales late after following little signs to the camp site down side roads n tracks, set up and started to party with the full intention of settling up with the owner the following morning..

Had a great night quite a few beers and were not up bright n early with the birds.

We woke the following day to discover while we slept the UK caravan club who had booked the field had turned up and not only managed to fill the field in a regimented grid but had done so without disturbing a single one of us.. As we emerged a friendly voice piped up IM glad we didnt wake you guys, but perhaps you didnt realise this is a private caravan club pitch.. As we slowly woke Tea, and toast arrived from a nearby caravans, The signs leading us to the field had looked temporary, and the mistake was ours, there were no hard feelings at all, all were well natured and we packed up and moved down the road to a standard camp site..

It turned out the first cjap in had spotted us at 4 am and then parked up and made sure everyone else who turned up kept quiet as they set up,, must have been over 80 caravans, all parked up in neat rows and all conducted with whispers ;) ,

we once turned up at a campsite in south wales late after following little signs to the camp site down side roads n tracks, set up and started to party with the full intention of settling up with the owner the following morning..

Had a great night quite a few beers and were not up bright n early with the birds.

We woke the following day to discover while we slept the UK caravan club who had booked the field had turned up and not only managed to fill the field in a regimented grid but had done so without disturbing a single one of us.. As we emerged a friendly voice piped up IM glad we didnt wake you guys, but perhaps you didnt realise this is a private caravan club pitch.. As we slowly woke Tea, and toast arrived from a nearby caravans, The signs leading us to the field had looked temporary, and the mistake was ours, there were no hard feelings at all, all were well natured and we packed up and moved down the road to a standard camp site..

It turned out the first cjap in had spotted us at 4 am and then parked up and made sure everyone else who turned up kept quiet as they set up,, must have been over 80 caravans, all parked up in neat rows and all conducted with whispers ;) ,

Very considerate bunch. And they provided breakfast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back