Extract Brewing, Stout brew walk through.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby_shaw

Regular.
Reaction score
Firstly let me say that this is only the way that I do it :wha: there are other ways and I will make reference to them as we go along (probably :lol: )

First the equipment

My boiler
extractbrew006.jpg

This is used to dissolve your malt extract into your liquor, to steep your grains and finally boil your wort with your hops.
This has a 30L capacity, it is "best practice" to boil more than the final required volume and allow for evaporation and losses to the hops trub etc. If you have a smaller boiler you can either make smaller batches, boil smaller volumes and combine them later or boil as much as you can and then dilute prior to fermenting. As can be seen I have a hop strainer in the bottom of my boiler as an alternative the hops can be boiled in a bag.

Grain bag
extractbrew009.jpg

I prefer to use muslin squares as I find they retain the finer grain particles.
DSC00023.jpg

Nylon grain bags such as the one above are available and are preferred by some brewers.

The recipe can be found HERE
The ingredients

The malt extract
extractbrew005.jpg

I am using 2.5kg of light dried malt extract (spraymalt) as the base of the beer. Liquid malt extract will work just as well.

My speciality grains
extractbrew004.jpg

Black malt and Chocolate malt
extractbrew010.jpg

The muslin square with the contained grains.

The hops
Magnum pellets and Northdown whole hops.
extractbrew003.jpg

The yeast
Safale SO4
extractbrew008.jpg

The technique.

I added 20L of cold tap water to the boiler and treated with 1/2 tsp campden powder (equivalent to 1/2 campden tablet) to remove the chlorine / chloramines
extractbrew007.jpg

With the power to boiler off I slowly added the malt extract to the liquor stirring continuously
extractbrew011.jpg

When the malt extract was fully dissolved the heat was switched on and the bag of grains suspended
extractbrew014.jpg

Whilst the wort was heating the bag of grains was given an occasional squeeze to aid extraction
DSC00015-1.jpg

Once the temperature had reached 70C it was time to remove the grains
DSC00016.jpg

Out they come
DSC00017.jpg

Be careful they're hot, put them safely to one side for later
DSC00018.jpg

Once they have cooled down sufficiently give the bag a squeeze to release the trapped extract. Add this to the rest of the wort.
DSC00019.jpg

Keep applying the heat and bring to the boil. Keep an eye on it as I only just caught this one before it boiled over.
DSC00020.jpg

Once up to boil add the hops
DSC00021.jpg

Boil it for a minimum of 60 minutes
DSC00022.jpg

If you are using a cooling coil add it for the last 15 minutes of the boil to sanitise it.
DSC00024.jpg

I also added some late hops at this point
DSC00025.jpg

When cooled to 20C it was allowed to stand for 15 minutes to allow the hops to settle and form a filter bed over the strainer. If using a hop boiling bag this step can be omitted. The cooled wort was then run into the fermentation vessel to aerate.
DSC00026.jpg

Dropping from a height gives good aeration.
DSC00027.jpg

All that's left is to check the gravity and pitch the yeast.
24L of stout in the FV, it's up to the yeast to do it's thing now :D
DSC00029.jpg

24 hours later and the yeast is trying to climb out of the FV (Fermenting at 20C)
DSC00030.jpg

Eight days in the primary, then dropped to secondary and dry hopped with a good hand full of fuggles :D
Five days later and it's time for bottles and keg.
The final gravity was 1.018 which for an all grain brew is quite high but is perfectly normal for an extract stout :)
DSC00032.jpg

Finally after all the hard work and patience the reward :party:
DSC00033.jpg

I hope that this helps to demystify extract brewing, If you have any further questions ask away :thumb:

Thats great TS - it certainly takes the mystery away from extract brewing - lovely explanation :thumb:

thanks for sharing, easy to follow and one i shall be making

cheers :drink:

That's a great post T_S.

Extract is a step up from Kits and gives you the feel for using grains and hops and also a full boil.I did a couple of Kits then a couple of Extracts before I took the plunge to A.G.
I wish that I could have had an easy to follow guide like yours when I did my first Extract.
Would have helped big time. :thumb:

Well done that Man! Superb walk through Tubby_Shaw this will be just the job for anyone wishing to make the step up from kits to extract or AG Brewers without the time for a full mash.

tubby_shaw said:
Firstly let me say that this is only the way that I do it

Is that a typo TS? If not....nice one!

arturobandini said:
Well done that Man! Superb walk through Tubby_Shaw this will be just the job for anyone wishing to make the step up from kits to extract or AG Brewers without the time for a full mash.

tubby_shaw said:
Firstly let me say that this is only the way that I do it

Is that a typo TS? If not....nice one!
No not a typo :lol:
There are other ways, such as steeping the grains separately in a pan with treated liquor like this
extractbrew016.jpg

and then adding the result to the boiler :thumb:
I just choose not to ;)

tubby_shaw said:
I hope that this helps to demystify extract brewing, If you have any further questions ask away :thumb:
An excellent "How To", many thanks, after reading that I would certainly consider taking the next step.

Could I boil in aluminium, or is that a :nono: ?

The reason I ask is that I picked this up for a fiver in a local auction and have been trying to find a use for it:

BigPan.jpg

I asked a similar question a while back about Aloominum as it was so rare to see it in any Brewdays pictures I thought there was some problem with it and brewing. It's got the all clear though so you needn't worry....just has to live in the all shining shadow of it's stainless steel brother.

Thanks guys :cheers:

Oh dear, the pull from the dark side is getting stronger :(

So where can I find an Extract recipe for something similar to Hobgoblin?

Moley if you Google "hobgoblin clone recipe" you will find hundreds :thumb:
You will just need to decide which one you want to do :hmm:

Hi,
I'd like to give this a try, but in a smaller batch (say, starting with 5 litres of water in the boiler instead of 20). Does the recipe scale down nicely? Also, how much of each grain did you use in yours, and how much of all the hops? And (excuse n00bishness) how do you dry hop something?
Thanks.

Hi, yes the recipe should scale fine :thumb:
I used 300g of black malt and 200g chocolate malt.
I used 20g of magnum hop pellets and 15g of Northdown whole hops to give 40IBU of bitterness.
Dry hopping is the practice of adding dry hops to either the secondary fermentation vessel or the keg to add some hop aroma ;)

I seem to have accidentally ordered dark instead of light spraymalt. :(
Does this change the recipe majorly? Thanks.

As the major flavour from this stout comes from the roast grains, it's not a disaster and should still make a good stout :thumb:

Hey,
I did this just as I said I would, and after having been left in a cupboard and forgotten about to carbonate, it turned out great. Thanks a lot for the tutorial! :drink:
One difference was that I didn't dry hop any fuggles, but since I haven't made any with the fuggles, I don't know what I'm missing. At some point in the future, I'll try a larger batch with some fuggles.
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back