cooker hood extractor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
ive managed to get one brand new for £10 to go in the shed above the boiler. I have a couple of questions though,

how high should I place the extractor above my boiler? do I leave just enough room to get the ic in and out or more.

the outlet pipe, there are flaps on top of the motor in the outlet so hopefully no condensation can run back in. but should I go straight from the outlet and turn 90' straight out the wall or go up the wall before turning out the wall?

thanks

the extractor should be around 750mm above gas flame , some extractors can go as low as 650mm , but you may be using electric so apart from the heat /danger side you could have it as close as 300mm or around 700mm from the top of your boiler

Heres mine:
8734395841_f51433156c_o.jpg

Good points, you can see in to the kettle when its running.
Bad points, not all the steam makes it into the extractor due to how high it is & theres tonnes of condensation which drips onto the work top

Being honest, I would probably try putting a hole in the line with fastening for a extractor hose (like those found in the hoods) and seeing how you get on with that BEFORE installing the hood. Now I've got the hood in it's a PITA it not being up so I'll just have to tolerate it and maybe put a hole in the lid to direct steam flow anyway.

Don't worry about condensation in the kettle, this whole DMS thing is completely overblown. It evaporates well before any water does, so the chances of it condensing on a steam outlet which is at the 100c mark is pretty much non existent. Mine condenses and drops back in quite a lot but over the course of an hour there's so much recycle going on that its fine. At the very least you can't taste anything.

Cheers
Cooky

its an electric urn im using, and for the size it is only 50mm further out than the hood so im hoping theres enough coverage to get most of the steam. ill set it so it high enough to be able to get the chiller in and out without squeezing.
cooky what do you mean by putting a hole inline with the fastening? thanks

fixed the hood in place, I went for 450mm above the top of the boiler and by the way the motor blows I think it is going to work really well. haven't fitted the hose and vent yet though.

do a test boil under the hood first, before you commit to a brew

i had a go of a brew in the kitchen in the depth of the winter not wanting to face the low temps of the patio.

DISASTER!! the cooker hood was a condensation trap and due to the wide size of the mango barrel boiler the dirty condensate just dripped back into the beer :( - a not very nice beer was the result, its still 'maturing' in the corny, but showed little improvement (dry laquory taste) last taste test..

im now planning on installing a 6" squirrel fan in the soon?? to be brewshed sucking air into the shed, the boil will occour under an open window, and im hopeing that the positive pressure caused by the squirel fan wil push all the steam out of the window,, tho i will have to test the theory..

good luck..

oh I see, will give it a go with water first but cant see it dripping back in as the hood is 150mm bigger than the boiler I have atm so any drips should miss.

my experiment was mid winter, and perhaps the ambient temp in the kitchen just caused condensation on contact???
i had taken pains to hang our cooker hood dead level ;) so condensation drips were occouring every sq inch or so, while the output flaps in the wall were wide open spilling the steam that did get extracted. if condensation proves an issue for you u could tip the hood back or forward to encourage drips to run off in a particular place..

good luck..

Latest posts

Back