AG#105 - Summit 73 E366

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

Landlord.
Reaction score
Summit 73 E366 - Bit of an experiment, I'm mashing for a 1040 wort but mashing high so as to produce lots of un-fermentable sugars and hoping for a full bodied 2.8% ABV, Phil Lowry recommends something like this for a low abv beer so I'm finally getting round to giving it a go though he recommended 74c for the mash temp I'm resisting and going for 73c.
My choice of malts is also high on the Dextrine and malty side to try and pack in a load of malt flavour while keeping the beer light in colour *Fingers crossed!*
I'm also not adding any hops for the first 45mins of the boil with just a small charge at 15mins from end and a massive end of boil steep using 'Summit' & 'Experimental 366' in equal parts.

Fermentables:
Lager Malt - 65%
Carapils (Weyermann) - 15%
Munich Malt - 10%
Vienna Malt - 10%

Hops:
Summit - 17.5 % @ 15 mins - 15g
Experimental 366 - 15.7 % @ 15 mins - 15g
Summit - 17.5 % @ 0 mins - 85g
Experimental 366 - 15.7 % @ 0 mins - 85g

Final Volume: 23 Litres
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.010 (I'm hoping for a high FG)
Alcohol Content: 3.9% ABV
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Bitterness: 24 EBU
Colour: 7 EBC
Mash: 60mins @ 73c
Boil: 60mins
Yeast: Safale us-05

Here are the usual batch of brewday photos :)

The malts & malt temp:

The Exp 366 hops:

First batch sparging running to the copper:

The last 15mins:

End of boil steep for 20mins:

I liquored back in the FV with 2.4L and pitched the yeast:

AG#105 - Summit73 E366, cooled and running to FV got 1045 so going to liquorback to 1040 by Franklin, on Flickr

The wort tastes quite bitter and smells amazing when you give it a good thrash to aerate :)

thats an interesting brew !

2.8%abv ??

something for the kids then........ :D

piddledribble said:
thats an interesting brew !

2.8%abv ??

something for the kids then........ :D
I used to do an almost no alcohol brew for drinking in the summer when I was working in the garden, and didn't want to fall in the veggy patch. It was just a few spoonfulls of malt extract per gallon boiled with some hops and fermented out in a couple of days. Mixed it with lime juice, nice refreshing drink. (till I could have a proper one after work)

there's nothing wrong with a Low abv, it means you get more glass-to-mouth enjoyment :)

I'm not saying anything wrong with the low abv drinks at all....

Its just not something I've considered.

Latest posts

Back