How to make a keg level indicator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My plan is to never have an empty one, so when I get agonal breathing from one, I'll put it out of it's misery and start on the next!

Amazing - I searched all over Google about a month ago to find a solution to this problem and definitely didn't find this. Only thing i found was a temperature strip type thing which had been discontinued because it didn't work!

Two problems with the ball and keg set up - it's not available in europe and its $20. kinder =3 for £1

My idea actually came from a diesel measuring system we have at work which had a similar system but it's contained in a sight glass.

Either way it's working for me now so hopefully same for everyone else.

Got me a kinder egg with some magnets and 6.5mm steel bearings so I'm all set to make this float indicator, what I have noticed is they have changed the kinder eggs now so for anyone who's tried this are they still OK and do they withstand 30PSI and above,do they leak into the magnet,so many questions that still need answering

Been piddling about all afternoon with this and it certainly does act as a clamp on the stainless keg wall,from experimenting I found that the egg and magnet have to be heavy enough to sink without attaching the ball bearing on the outside but finely balanced to allow the egg to drop with gravity and beer level with the bearing attached on the outer side. my magnet which is pretty powerful maybe too powerful is 6Grams the total weight of the egg is 65Grams
The egg contains the magnet and other stuff to add weight to it.the other problem is the kinder egg which does leak in slightly so back to the experiment again by sealing it with clear nail varnish all around the seams and submerging it for an hour or so before taking apart to see if its dry inside

I have 3 of these on order - I'll post a report once I have tried them. Worked out at about �£15 each with postage.
just a quick revisit to this thread,did you eventually get your floats sutty and did they work as intended because try as I did I couldn't get a diy kinder egg one to work properly :hat:

I got them, but found that if a float lost contact with the magnet outside when a keg was moved (which happened every time), I was unable to "recapture" the float to make the system work. Maybe it would work with a bigger/stronger magnet.

I got them, but found that if a float lost contact with the magnet outside when a keg was moved (which happened every time), I was unable to "recapture" the float to make the system work. Maybe it would work with a bigger/stronger magnet.
Had same trouble with the diy model and upping the magnet strength just clamped the bugger thru the keg wall so didn't fall,I think on this occasion its a room 101 idea

Having seen this thread the manufacturers have suggested sending me replacements as they had a batch with malpositioned magnets in the ball float, which caused these sort of problems.
I'll report back when I have a chance to try them. I have a brew fermenting currently so hopefully I'll get them in time for when that get racked to a new keg.

Well I tried the replacement floats the manufacturer sent, and its been a great success! The magnet seems much stronger - strong enough to hold the float in place with the other (supplied) magnet on the outside, with the float suspended at the top of the keg whilst you fill it, the external magnet is then replaced with a ball bearing, and it works well! I did forget to replace the bearing with the magnet to move the keg and the bearing fell off, but I easily "recaptured" the float using the magnet and replaced the bearing.
The second float is in the next batch in my fridge, and I suspect it will work just as well.
The only downside is seeing how fast you are getting through a keg! :-)

All in all I can recommend the system!

Last edited:
Well I tried the replacement floats the manufacturer sent, and its been a great success! The magnet seems much stronger - strong enough to hold the float in place with the other (supplied) magnet on the outside, with the float suspended at the top of the keg whilst you fill it, the external magnet is then replaced with a ball bearing, and it works well! I did forget to replace the bearing with the magnet to move the keg and the bearing fell off, but I easily "recaptured" the float using the magnet and replaced the bearing.
The second float is in the next batch in my fridge, and I suspect it will work just as well.
The only downside is seeing how fast you are getting through a keg! :-)

All in all I can recommend the system!
hmm,so how much are they delivered and can they be copied efficiently?

Latest posts

Back