Barleywine Boilathon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianTrace

Reaction score
That went well :doh: Not!

Fermentables:
3kg extra light DME (1.5 kg dissolved in the main boil to darken, 1.5kg to add towards the end of the boil)
500g Caramalt 30*L
250g CaraMunich Type II 120 EBC

Hops:
15g Admiral FWH (end of grain steep)
10g EKG & 5g Admiral 10 mins
10g EKG steep
10g EKG dry hop (probably)

Pitching Nottingham yeast cake once the wort has fully cooled.

The plan was for a 90min main boil of around 12L to come down to 8L before adding the final DME (~3L) to hit target of 11L. Due to a dozy moment I ended up with around 20L in the boiler for the main boil :doh:

3hrs of boiling later, including taking 4pints at a time and boiling in a pan on the hob to half volume, I have 10L in the FV, which i may liquor back to 11, once I test the SG. Boilovers left right and centre mean that I may have lost a little :oops:

I was intending to do a long boil in order to get some caramelisation of the wort, but not this much :-? This could be like treacle... but I like treacle :thumb:

Time for a beer, I think :drink:

Hi Adrian

That sounds like quite a Brewday, right enough.

What size Barley Wine are you aiming for, with those numbers?

Not going to be ready by this Christmas, by my reckoning :thumb:

Maybe next Christmas... if I can leave it alone :-?

Brewtarget is offering me an OG of 1.107 at 11 litres. FG of 1.027 if I can get 75% attenuation from the nottingham, so 10.5% ABV. But we'll have to see what losses I've suffered. It's currently in a sink of cold water: with all the boiling faff I didn't get the immersion chiller sterilised or connected, but as it's only 10L at the moment, the sink is doing well (down to 40*C about 10 mins ago).

Cheers Clibit. Itdidn't feel like it when I had cleaned the hob after a boilover and went out to the boiler to find the lid had slipped from mostly on to fully on, causing a boilover out there :mad:

1 hour after pitching. This is an inch thick on top and growing rapidly:
IMG_20151206_005959_zpst6mbfcvw.jpg

It doesn't hang around when you repitch

Holy moly. I put the fv outside for a few hours yesterday, as there was 6" krausen on top and the beer was getting warm to the touch.

It had subsided by this morning, and it's down to about 1.030, with only the thin, 'end of fermentation' layer of bubbles on top.

Almost done in 36 hours... I think this will need to stand for a while to clean itself up. Not quite what I was aiming for.

Latest posts

Back