As promised banana wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeyRobinson

Reaction score
Just thought id share this banana wine I made just before Christmas as it was absolutely lovely. I really didn't expect it to turn out as well as it did and it cleared so well. It started out because the market was closing and the fruit man was selling 2 bags of bananas for 50p so I got a whole pounds worth and thought I could give the banana wine a go. As it turned out when id skinned them and chopped them up I had exactly 3 pounds. I put them on to boil for half an hour and give them a good mash up as they were cooling. I then strained them into a pot and let them cool down to room temperature. I added some pectolase and left them over night. The end result was a cloudy juice much like wallpaper paste and wasn't feeling too confident of pulling it of as I thought it would be a nightmare to clear. I put the liquid in a demi jon and topped up to around four litres. I then added all the usual stuff and crossed my fingers. The fermentation was far from vigorous but it went off very nicely. It cleared up very well with only the addition of a campden table and was very nice indeed. I would highly recommend giving this a go and its definatley in my collection of regular wines to make.

3lb bananas
600g sugar
1tsp pectolase
1tsp citric
1 campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Topped up to four ltrs

Once again I really do recommend giving this a go its so surprising how good this wine is. Let me know what you think

Mark

Banana wine has been one of my favourites and I've made a lot over the years, I was thinking of doing some when Brian (manxnorton) posted about his a month or two back, speaking of which I haven't seen him on for a while?

I really cant praise this wine highly enough should be on everyones list I reckon. After the initial shock of how gloopy and wallpaper paste like it was I was surprised by how well this stuff clears to crystal clear without the need for finings at all

Mark

I like to use bananas that are going black and keep the skins on, gives it a nice brown colour tint, I kept getting asked if it was whisky I was drinking.

Got up from my night shift today to be greeted with three big bags of bananas that my girlfriend got from asda on the old yellow sticker whoopsie. Ive got 15lbs of bananas that she paid 30p for to make a bigger batch of the banana wine cant wait

Mark

I didn't ! (too lazy to make it :mrgreen: )

not what i was expecting from you !

i hope its decent weather 2moz so i can make some big turbo cider batches - i have the fruit juices and syrups ready and some fiery ginger beer in a king keg to keep me warm hehe

Latest posts

Back