Winebuddy Merlot 30 Bottle Kit Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delmol

Reaction score
For my first 'proper' brew I decided to pickup a Winebuddy 30 bottle Merlot kit online.

The kit promises drinkable wine in 7 days and true to its word, that's what I got.

There's a lot of valuable advice on these forums about leaving the wine to ferment for a few weeks as opposed to the 6 days advised in this kit, but as this was one of my first attempts I thought I'd follow the instructions and then I can tweak it on another run.

After 6 days in the FV I took a gravity reading which ended up at just over .990 - so ended up quite a dry wine.

Added the finings and flavour sachet, which contrary to most other reviews doesn't taste that bad.

After 24 hours the wine was clear a day and was ready to be bottled.

In the end I managed to get 20 1L bottles out of the kit, I probably could have an extra 2 bottles but didn't want to risk disturbing the sediment!

I was expecting something between 'borderline drinkable' and 'drain cleaner'. While it certainly isn't the best wine in the world, it turned out a lot better than I was expecting it to.

You can take a look at how the finished bottles came out:

DSC_0096.jpg

SWMBO and my brother have taken a liking to this wine, so I don't think it'll be lasting very long!

Last edited:
I am a fan of the WB Sav Blanc and have reviewed it on the forum, you may find it improves over the next few weeks (if it lasts that long)

Thread added to the Kit review A - Z :thumb:

I am a fan of the WB Sav Blanc and have reviewed it on the forum, you may find it improves over the next few weeks (if it lasts that long)

Thread added to the Kit review A - Z :thumb:

I think I'll be doing the Sav Blanc soon (I do like a good white wine)

or I might try my hand at a WOW variant.

I'll definitely be keeping a few bottles to mature, that is if SWMBO doesn't get to them first!

or I might try my hand at a WOW variant.

If you want a good fruity white WoW and can get easily get your hands on white grape juice then try 1 litre of WGJ and 1 litre of lidls vitafit tropical
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vitafit+tropical&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&imgil=LsjlfvKu6qTSvM%253A%253BlE4UGJhNcvJr6M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fveganfuture.wordpress.com%25252F2011%25252F04%25252F10%25252Fvegan-products-at-lidl%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=LsjlfvKu6qTSvM%253A%252ClE4UGJhNcvJr6M%252C_&usg=__B2TIPT2RiwH3eN185Up-cHprTZ0%3D&biw=1920&bih=972&ved=0ahUKEwjQjP_8w_rNAhVBDMAKHXqwAXsQyjcIUg&ei=R36LV5DNI8GYgAb64IbYBw#imgrc=LsjlfvKu6qTSvM%3A

It is found in the chilled drinks section. We where out last night at a byob pizza eaterie with about 8 others, everyone who tasted it liked it a lot.

I'm thinking about brewing a slightly lower alcohol tropical WOW.

Sort of like a summer tropical punch - should go down a treat with some ice on a nice hot day!

Mine looks much more like a rose than a merlot? What's gone wrong? Tastes nice enough though

Bottled one of these last night. First thoughts.....

Is it red, no
Is it drinkable? Just about at the moment, let's see in a few weeks if it improves
Would I own up to making it, no
Could you put it in an echo falls bottle and get away with it? Probably
Would I spend the extra tenner and get something like an all juice Harris house red, every time

Latest posts

Back