St Austell Brewery "Proper Job"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never seen proper black for sale

but Proper Job is a good IPA, the HBC American DIPA came out very similar even though the hop mix was different

Proper Job home brew clone is excellent!!!
I've done 2, and 3rd with variations is just finishing fermenting.

Their Black IPA "Proper Black" is also very good.

Yes, had one of these a few weeks ago and it's now on my list for the next batch of homebrews. Can't say I approve of the name `black IPA' though. That's like saying guiness isn't a stout, it's a black golden ale...:twisted:

Proper Job itself is bottle conditioned so you could try culturing the yeast if you wanted to try and clone or make a beer with their ingredients..

Although I have a sneaky suspicion it is probably a chico like strain anyway

Yes, had one of these a few weeks ago and it's now on my list for the next batch of homebrews. Can't say I approve of the name `black IPA' though. That's like saying guiness isn't a stout, it's a black golden ale...:twisted:

Just did this as a use up clone and it came out almost identicle. Very happy with it. Head retention is a bit rubbish but never mind.

Proper Job itself is bottle conditioned so you could try culturing the yeast if you wanted to try and clone or make a beer with their ingredients..

Although I have a sneaky suspicion it is probably a chico like strain anyway
Way ahead of you on that one..Ive got one brewing and collecting the yeast from anothe 8 bottles

Thinkmaybe i just sampled it too early. seems to be getting better. Defo not a sugar issue, most prob due to limited ability to conrol conditioning temp. Still VERY tasty. :)

i bottled for the first time very recently, and after being used to the first pint being ready alot sooner then the rest of the batch i was happy- so when i did bottle i was suprised that i was met with an unstable carb sugar tasting mess - just over a week later though and the same monster had become similar to a corona/desperados :D

all i can say issssssssssss

patience is the friend of the homebrewer

Proper Job home brew clone is excellent!!!
I've done 2, and 3rd with variations is just finishing fermenting.

I thought Proper Job was likely to be the best thing I ever had out of a bottle. That is until I brewed my Youngs American IPA kit...:tongue:

Latest posts

Back