Mango wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
So bough 3 tins of mango pulp for £1 each last month in Tescos, each tin has 225g of sugar. Never bought before, blended like soup, thought it might have been mashed, suppose it's used in curries and the like.

Did 2 gallons
1 tin of 850g Mango Pulp in each (225g sugar content)
730g sugar in one and 710g in the other.
250g of blended sultanas in each dj. 2 Tea bag tea in each.
Youngs super yeast (have to use up, might be out of date), 1 tsp citric, nutrient and pectolase.

No worse than what I normally make. Think that being so finely cut, with both mango pulp and sultanas racking twice through a cheese cloth would do fine.

The 6 month open youngs super yeast compound is working away ok, did use a lot in each though.

I made three gallon earlier this year from pulp, for the first time, got a couple of pints over two gallon of clean wine wine , theres lots of dross with this pulp and will also need clearing and constant racking, i made half sparkling and half normal. its been bottled two months, will try the sparkling christmas.

So bough 3 tins of mango pulp for �£1 each last month in Tescos, each tin has 225g of sugar. Never bought before, blended like soup, thought it might have been mashed, suppose it's used in curries and the like.

Did 2 gallons
1 tin of 850g Mango Pulp in each (225g sugar content)
730g sugar in one and 710g in the other.
250g of blended sultanas in each dj. 2 Tea bag tea in each.
Youngs super yeast (have to use up, might be out of date), 1 tsp citric, nutrient and pectolase.

how is it going ?

Still fermenting and getting busy. I believe the flavour of the mango will be subtle, which is why I kept the potential abv low so ethanol wouldn't interfere with flavour.

How much sugar content do you need per demijohn of say dry, medium and sweet? I normally go by jars.

this will be down to what yeast you use and what tolernace it has to alcohol - if its a strand that has a lower tolerance then it will not be able to handle greater amounts of sugar - leaving sweetness . But if its got a high tolerance it will leave a dry finish

Still fermenting and getting busy. I believe the flavour of the mango will be subtle, which is why I kept the potential abv low so ethanol wouldn't interfere with flavour.

maybe prime some bottles with a little mango juice instead of sugar then ?

Took both of the must today, bit messy with the mango so dissolved camden went into each. sg 0.992 in dj1 and 0.996 in dj2 haven't tasted yet has smell of mango still. Will leave a few more days to see what happens.

After racking of the must and adding camden, moved to very warm room and put a fan heater near to give vibration and help release gas for 4 days. Virtually no activity so have added finings to both and will leave until clear and rack onto a little sorbate just in case.

Racked these tonight onto 1/4 tsp of k.sorbate. Tasted, original recipe could do with losing citric acid from it. Have another tin, so won't bother adding citric acid to next batch. Mango is sutble in taste and not overpowering which I expected. Tastes as if it will improve over 2-3 months.

Added extra finings as it's slow to fully clear, fine particles with the mango and blended sultanas.

This has been a right pain to get it to clear, going to bottle both dj's tonight.

This wine was a ball ache to clear three gallon gave me two in bottles racked and racked and racked. i back sweetened a touch with Truvia when bottling,, this was bottled approx 3rd sept, and it tasted not so good, Today took a bottle from the garage come bottling plant and chilled a bottle over all morning, opened this lunch and its superb, med sweet, smooth, loads of mouth feel, full of fruit and a decent ABV. Have not tested i use the drinking effect test. really happy with what i thought might be a boo boo

Latest posts

Back