Grain Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
Anyone ever done a wine from grain, generally barley or wheat? I was given a taste of a barley wine years ago and it was a thick sweet wine, maybe slightly spiced. I'm guessing it was made from malted barley. Trying to find anything online was futile but C.J.J. Berry's book has some recipes and I have his barley wine about to be racked but it doesn't look anything like the drink I had. It's a blend of raw barley, white grape concentrate and sugar. Think it's d47 I used to ferment it.

Anyone else got any experience in this area?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBChms-EiDg[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzDNG8dODUE[/ame]

Anyone ever done a wine from grain, generally barley or wheat? I was given a taste of a barley wine years ago and it was a thick sweet wine, maybe slightly spiced. I'm guessing it was made from malted barley. Trying to find anything online was futile but C.J.J. Berry's book has some recipes and I have his barley wine about to be racked but it doesn't look anything like the drink I had. It's a blend of raw barley, white grape concentrate and sugar. Think it's d47 I used to ferment it.

Anyone else got any experience in this area?

There's barley wine that is more a strong sweet beer, made that in my youth, the barley wine is more wine than beer in Berry's book.

Here's a thread on Munton's Barley wine kit (beer version)

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4896&highlight=barley+wine

Thanks for the responses but this is the issue I have, if you look up barley wine you get the beer style not a wine. Guessing I can't just brew the beer style then leave it flat as that would just taste of flat beer and not have the sweetness.

What do you think would happen if I brewed up a high gravity wort, say 1.100+ then fermented it with a wine yeast? Might work better as a braggot? Shame that I wasn't into brewing back then so didn't think to ask how the drink was made.

Thanks for the info, guess this system doesn't work to well with deal roasted malts which I guess makes some kinda sense.

What did the first batch actually taste like? I presume it was somewhere around an even split of barley and wheat in the grains?

Thanks for the responses but this is the issue I have, if you look up barley wine you get the beer style not a wine. Guessing I can't just brew the beer style then leave it flat as that would just taste of flat beer and not have the sweetness.

What do you think would happen if I brewed up a high gravity wort, say 1.100+ then fermented it with a wine yeast? Might work better as a braggot? Shame that I wasn't into brewing back then so didn't think to ask how the drink was made.

I think if you use a wine yeast it will finish very dry, if you want it sweet use an ale yeast, I think Nottingham should be good for 12%+.

Back