Tc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Made this yesterday.

4.5 lts of Lidl's Vitafit 100% apple juice (142.5g per 1.5ltr carton), 1/2 tsp of wilkcos yeast nutrient as I thought this juice would need the extra nutrient this has. An extra 300g of sugar dissolved in warmed apple juice and 2 tea bags for extra tannin as the juice looked a bit pale. A sprinkle Harris premium yeast.

Only added 3.75 ltrs, will gradually top up with the reminder of juice from tommorow to avoid airlock blow.

Started fermenting within ten min's.

Not fussed on adding flavouring, as have a couple of wow's I'm not keen and want to use to top up cider in the glass.

Just tested and is at 0.996, still activity in the airlock, degassing or fermenting?

Has anyone ever got cider to 0.990 using a wine yeast?

I got a batch down to 0990 last week but it was with Young's Cider yeast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it is possible, how long? Pity I just threw in a camden. Wanted it done and bottled before xmas.

So it is possible, how long? Pity I just threw in a camden. Wanted it done and bottled before xmas.

OG 1086 18/11
SG 0990 6/12
FG 0990 9/12
So about 2.5-3 weeks. You should get it done just in time for New Years if you're not worried about conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

......... You should get it done just in time for New Years if you're not worried about conditioning.

Or even Christmas. :thumb:

I syphoned a batch of cider into a King Keg Top Tap on the 28th November and carbonated it using 4 x 8g CO2 capsules over about a week.

It's not a cheap way to carbonate a brew but after sitting on top of the worktop in the garage for a fortnight it is now crystal clear even if it's not fully conditioned. :thumb:

Looks like it's stopped or at least paused, but not clearing enough yet to rack, maybe tomorrow. Should have just left it until today may have finished anyway.

JUst racked, tasted good at 8.2% abv and added finings. Been right busy with racking today.

Had added finings and bottled on Sunday. Primed a litre bottle with level tsp of sugar and topped up with water to drop abv, 2 other 2 litre bottles didn't have yeast so didn't prime.

Just knocked up another batch with 300g of sugar, but added 2 tea bags and 1 redbush bag to avoid the camden later for mao/lactic ferm', plus might add a little flavour. In addition added 1 tsp of malic acid, 1 tsp of wilkos nutrient and 1/2 tsp of pectolase.

Bl**dy kids, went to top of with reminder of apple juice they'd drunk most of it, maybe 80-100ml left. Just topped up with water, thrown abv' to the wind, still be strong >7.5%

I topped just after the last post with 100ml of apple juice 11.5g of sugar in. Just bottled and tasted, very dry, very apple like, fg no idea had stopped last week. Bit fizzy so would suspect that is due to the extra malic acid I added, it had bite, starting of malo/lactic fermentation. Allowed to clear naturally which it did. Slight taste of redbush in aftertaste and at taste apple is dominant. Will do this again.

Back