Asda Red Grape wow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
3 ltrs of red grape juice (asda 3 for �£3)

640g of sugar
1 tea bag tea, 2 redbush teabag tea. Dissolved sugar in tea and add grape juice. Added 1/2 tsp of pectolase, 1tsp of nutrient and 1 1/2 tsp of youngs super yeast compound. Has started fermenting.

Calculated estimated og of 1093 which would without diluting around 13.5% if ferments out to 0.990, I'm ok with that.

Similar to your blueberry ans grape which a few of us are trying this week :thumb:

So you aren't topping up at all, that's a small batch?

Similar to your blueberry ans grape which a few of us are trying this week :thumb:

So you aren't topping up at all, that's a small batch?

Yeah, just a gallon, I like to be surprised by wine, with 5 gallons I wont be surprised for 30 bottles or I'll be dispointed for 30 bottles. At least if disapointed with a gallon I can pass off to the wife lol :lol:

I'm also trying to build a drinkable batch of red, as autumn fruit wines will take another year if not more.

I brewed the red grape and didn't much like it at first. After a while it got a lot better but basically too dry for my taste. A mate of mine used it in mulled wine and was superb. He added spices and a litre of same red grape juice.

Yeah, just a gallon, I like to be surprised by wine, with 5 gallons I wont be surprised for 30 bottles or I'll be dispointed for 30 bottles. At least if disapointed with a gallon I can pass off to the wife lol :lol:

I'm also trying to build a drinkable batch of red, as autumn fruit wines will take another year if not more.

I'm enjoying doing small batches too , one or two gallon - it seems much more manageable. When you top up from the shoulder once it calms down, are you planning on water/more redbush tea/more juice? Or a mixture?

My local HBS keep trying to sell me a 30 bottle kit of Pinot Noir, but I don't have enough equipment, I cant see how you'd add the stages of 'stuff' splitting across several DJ's rather than one huge one - if I buy anything else the Mrs will kill me.

I'm also just trying to achieve a stock of £1 a bottle red table wine, until my fruit wines are ready.. I'm delighted with my first attempt, asda del simon + wilko RGC. Your blueberry+grape is bubbling away, and I'm gonner start something similar tomorrow.

p.s. i must confess that the blackberry wine I made in September has been sampled, just 1 bottle, and even though I've done something wrong and its ever so slightly cloudy, it's as good as anything I've bought in the £5 range. The rest from the dozen batch, plus a dozen of elderberry (not even sampling that) are going away for christmas 2017

Just topping up with water, otherwise more sugar will be introduced with grape or another fruit juice prolonging fermentation. No need for more redbush, seems to be a very good anti-oxidiser.

Racked today and added finnings, although pretty clear and sediment was compacted. Tasted ok, will improve, slight sweet like taste with redbush and colour has remained red. Drinkable now but will probably leave to clear to next week and bottle by next weekend.

Put another batch on of asda red grape.

3 ltr red grape juice
Total sugar content with added sugar = 1190g
1 tea bag tea, 2 redush tea bag tea.
1/2 tsp pectolase
1 heaped tsp of ammonium phosphate nutient
sprinkle of Harris yeast (18%)
Decided to leave out citric
Started fermenting.

Agree with the small batches. I finally got some glass 1g DJ and will be trying to experiment with WoW for the Winter/ spring

Just racked the 2nd batch yesterday tasted ok, fairly clear already, will not add finings will leave to clear naturally.

Just racked the 2nd batch yesterday tasted ok, fairly clear already, will not add finings will leave to clear naturally.

Bottled last night, tastes like a young Beaujolais, although had to dip and wipe corks in camden infused hot water and give wipe after some problems with corks I've had.

Latest posts

Back