Wherry boost?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braziliain

Small Batch Brewer
Reaction score
I have a Wherry to put on soon and I'm wondering whether to boost it our not.

It mainly has great reviews other than the odd stuck ferment, so part of me thinks I should brew by the instructions.

However, my last kit (Wilko Cerveza) also gets pretty good reviews generally and I was pretty disappointed with the results.

So, has anyone had good results boosting a Wherry? And what did you do?

Thanks! :thumb:

It mainly has great reviews other than the odd stuck ferment, so part of me thinks I should brew by the instructions.

However, my last kit (Wilko Cerveza) also gets pretty good reviews generally and I was pretty disappointed with the results.

Personally i love Wherry , just finished drinking a batch made in October and got one on the brew now, I use wilko Nottingham ale yeast ,dry hop with 30g of east kent goldings hops and prime my bottles with 1 teaspoon of dark soft molasses sugar, take of the yeast at end of fermentation, give it two weeks in secondary before bottling add the hops for the second week. then bottle , ten weeks conditioning after bottling should give a very nice pint.:thumb:

Just finished my WOODFORDES WHERRY, once conditioned I put 2ml of EKG hop oil in the corney, wow what a beer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I add 100gms of Medium DME and ferment with Wilco's Ale Yeast. I also prime kegs & bottles with DME - I like a malty brew. IMO it makes an excellent, full bodied beer - one of the best - after about 3 months. :thumb:

Just finished my WOODFORDES WHERRY, once conditioned I put 2ml of EKG hop oil in the corney, wow what a beer

I always consider the Woodfordes Wherry to be the Gold Standard of Kits so I've never messed with one. (I've also never had one "stick".)

However, I have one that is currently on Day 5 of fermentation and I also have a spare EKG "tea bag" that needs using up so, in view of the above, I think I will make up a hop tea and put it into the Bottling Bucket with the carbonation sugar when bottling time arrives.

Many thanks! :thumb:

I always consider the Woodfordes Wherry to be the Gold Standard of Kits so I've never messed with one. (I've also never had one "stick".)

However, I have one that is currently on Day 5 of fermentation and I also have a spare EKG "tea bag" that needs using up so, in view of the above, I think I will make up a hop tea and put it into the Bottling Bucket with the carbonation sugar when bottling time arrives.

Many thanks! :thumb:

Good idea, the best wherry kit I did was adding an extra 500g LDM extract, it was very full bodied and malty , very nice

I add 100gms of Medium DME and ferment with Wilco's Ale Yeast. I also prime kegs & bottles with DME - I like a malty brew. IMO it makes an excellent, full bodied beer - one of the best - after about 3 months. :thumb:

Marlon how much DME do you prime a 500ml bottle with ?:thumb:

Marlon how much DME do you prime a 500ml bottle with ?:thumb:

The same as you would regular sugar. I use half a teaspoon in 500ml (2.5gms) for my Wherry. I'd be tempted to increase that slightly for IPA or lager, say 3-4 gms, but too much makes bottle bombs, so take care.

Just brew it short, 18L or 19L rather than 23L.

Wherry sticks because of the kit yeast, doesn't always happen but often does, change that if you want to reduce the risk of this happening.

Just cracked my last bottle of Wherry from my October batch, slurping as i type , chilled creamy head and an excellent drink,

Thanks for all the suggestions!

So this is the plan.

I'm going to split into two batches. Going to mix each can with 10L water in separate small FV's. Then pitch one with the kit yeast and one with Mangrove Jacks Liberty Bell. I'm going to dry hop the the Mangrove Jacks version with a little East Kent Goldings which I have in the freezer.

This way I can compare Wherry as it was intended and boosted Wherry.

:thumb:

Mate i will suggest you humbly. mix each can with liquid malt extracts (no matter brand preferably with hopped extracts though) then use different yeasts, make them 20 liters for each. on the other hand wherry and other that kit range (nog for example my all time favourite) just so perfect by instructions.

So this is the plan. I'm going to split into two batches.

That's a good plan :thumb:

I did that a lot last year when Wilko had Wherry on offer, 10L batches with single cans, each with a different dry hop. The Wherry yeast with one of your 10L brews is a good call too. Don't skimp on the hops, I usually use 25g or more in 10L.

Back