Beginners Kit Question: ABV too high.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badbrew

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

Finally taken on my third batch of kit beer in an attempt at making something not overly horrific before I try an All Grain recipe. I would like to think that some of you have felt my pain in that with every new brew, comes a new, slightly odd issue that needs rectifying. Here is my current one.

I completed a Brupak (Or whatever the new name is for it now) German Pilsner kit. For reference, I was provided with some "Teabags" to add hot water to, this was left in a smaller amount of water for X before applying the rest of the water to brew. I took my OG reading and from what I recall it was nothing out of the ordinary (im kicking myself that I didn't write this down as it was some months ago)

When it came to racking up I took the FG (again, I have lost the bit of paper) and when I calculated the ABV I was alarmed that it seemed to be around 6.7%.

Two questions:

1) If my readings were correct, what has caused this hike in ABV? It was expected to be 5.5%. I'm sure my water levels were correct in the FV.

2) Is it more likely that I have misread the hydrometer?

Sorry this one is a bit vague, I've been scared to crack them open for fear of quite the nasty hangover!

Cheers

Daz

Good afternoon all,

Finally taken on my third batch of kit beer in an attempt at making something not overly horrific before I try an All Grain recipe. I would like to think that some of you have felt my pain in that with every new brew, comes a new, slightly odd issue that needs rectifying. Here is my current one.

I completed a Brupak (Or whatever the new name is for it now) German Pilsner kit. For reference, I was provided with some "Teabags" to add hot water to, this was left in a smaller amount of water for X before applying the rest of the water to brew. I took my OG reading and from what I recall it was nothing out of the ordinary (im kicking myself that I didn't write this down as it was some months ago)

When it came to racking up I took the FG (again, I have lost the bit of paper) and when I calculated the ABV I was alarmed that it seemed to be around 6.7%.

Two questions:

1) If my readings were correct, what has caused this hike in ABV? It was expected to be 5.5%. I'm sure my water levels were correct in the FV.

2) Is it more likely that I have misread the hydrometer?

Sorry this one is a bit vague, I've been scared to crack them open for fear of quite the nasty hangover!

Cheers

Daz
I would have thought that you have misread the hydrometer. If you added all the recommended fermentable sugars to the brew and made up to the correct volume you should have ended up with an OG which is about what the kit says it should be, assuming of course that figure is correct.
And at the end of the day it is what it is, irrespective of what the readings told you.
If your beer has been conditioning for some time as you seem to indicate its probably ready so I'd crack a couple of bottles and find out what its like. Its no good being 'scared' sooner or later you are going to have to find out so Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway. I'm sure it will be OK. If it's turned out stronger than you want, you simply have to drink less. :thumb:

I also find that homebrew gives me less of a hangover than similar volumes of commercial beer....

Cheers for the reply guys.

Are there any other plausible reasons for the hike? If not, I can safely assume it's my misreading :)

Cheers for the reply guys.

Are there any other plausible reasons for the hike? If not, I can safely assume it's my misreading :)

Measuring the specific gravity with a hydrometer just gives you the volume of sugar dissolved in the liquid. So as mentioned above, if only added the fermentables included in the pack (i.e. didn't add any additional sugar, brewing sugar, malt extract etc) and you added the correct volume of water, then you will have read the hydrometer incorrectly, or calculated the abv incorrectly.

Hydrometers are usually calibrated for 20 degree celcius. If your beer was much cooler when you took the final reading, it may have read slightly too high.

As an example, I measured the specific gravity of my brew on Saturday before the boil at 60C and got 1.026. At 20C this would read 1.039.

Latest posts

Back