British Weather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
in just an hour we've got nearly an inch of snow here in northampton.

as you can imagine i wasn't impressed when i found out the plumber still hasn't fixed my boiler. it's 10 degrees c in my bedroom where my stout's fermenting... by some miracle, it's got a yeast head on it! :shock: i'm sat in my office with outdoor winter wear on (gloves, hat, two jumpers, fleece, and thermal socks cos it's 8 degrees everywhere else in my house :cry:

how are you guys doing?

BrewStew said:
in just an hour we've got nearly an inch of snow here in northampton.

as you can imagine i wasn't impressed when i found out the plumber still hasn't fixed my boiler. it's 10 degrees c in my bedroom where my stout's fermenting... by some miracle, it's got a yeast head on it! :shock: i'm sat in my office with outdoor winter wear on (gloves, hat, two jumpers, fleece, and thermal socks cos it's 8 degrees everywhere else in my house :cry:

That sounds like an excuse to brew so you've got the hot water from cooling :D

Of course, we'll forget the fact you've got a separate water boiler...

Seriously, hope it gets sorted. It's bloody freezing here too.

:lol: :lol:

i wish my boiler was powerful enough to actually act as an altetrnative hot water source

BS I feel your pain . . . Couple of years back we had our annual boiler inspection (In February naturally) and they condemned the boiler :shock: . . . took 4 days to get one fitted . . . and cost 2 grand :shock: although that did include a new control pack . . . and the old one must have been 30 years old . . . Just happened to the the coldest week of the year though

ouch, so not only were you frozen, but your took a pounding too!

thankfully i'm in rented accommodation, so it's only costing me the gas to run the fire in the living room on full blast. but that's not exactly heating the whole house, but it is just about taking the nip off.

the gloves and hat are off now, so i suppose that's a start :thumb:

:lol: :thumb:

fecking norvern munkees lol .... did you really zoom in that far to read this? methinks you need glasses

I have a similar problem with my plumbing although i have a back boiler in my open fire that heats the whole house although i'm just home and i can't be arsed lighting the fire. I suppose it's one of the advantages of working outdoors all my life, the cold doesn't usually bother me :D oh and i'm well 'ard :D

Clear blue skies here and currently 21C. :mrgreen:

Perfect occasion for gloating i'd have said. :lol:

So your experiencing shitty weather too then J_P? :lol:

MEB said:

Snowing at the moment in the North Pennines.

I suppose sun bathing on top of an active volcano with a depleted ozone layer above may seem attractive :twisted:

Kingfisher said:
MEB said:

I suppose sun bathing on top of an active volcano with a depleted ozone layer above may seem attractive :twisted:

Far more attractive. Especially as i'm looking out over the beautiful South Pacific... Or is that **** cos it's too wet? :roll:

No volcano's up the top end dood and Ozone layers are highly over rated anyway. :lol:

MEB said:
Kingfisher said:
MEB said:

Far more attractive. Especially as i'm looking out over the beautiful South Pacific... Or is that **** cos it's too wet? :roll:

No volcano's up the top end dood and Ozone layers are highly over rated anyway. :lol:

SP, the big blue, yep sailed all over it and it's too good to be true :cool: . I've also been on Taupo :?: The last time they heard the bang in China :shock: Ozone depletion, no worries, plenty of factor 3000. :P Lots of good memories and friends in NZ and I thought about buying there in 2000 but it's a holiday destination really. And if I lived on a volcano I wouldn't give a f--- either :lol:

I like the volcano thing-makes me well ard living on a volcano! :lol: Shame we don't get quakes up the top though. There are some really funny guidelines of what to do in a quake in the phone book-like hide under a sturdy table. :wha: Mind you saying that a sturdy table would be stronger than the flimsy stick houses they build here...

If you'd have bought here in 2000 you would be a very very happy man. I wish i had bought land/property here in 2000. I could probably retire now. :roll:

I don't see it as a holiday destination at all now-but i know what you mean. You only get to dip your toe in when your on holiday, Whereas when you live here you get to explore the real bits. Same as anywhere i guess. The tourist parts are just that-tourist parts. The real bits are kept for the 'natives' as such.

Taupo, yeh. It goes off down there quite a lot. Big lake that. Rotorua amazes me. It's managed to become one of the most popular destinations in the North Island and it's smells of rotten eggs in the city. Really nasty smelly rotten eggs too. All the time. I hate it. But the lake itself and the feeder streams have to be the mecca for trout fishing-if you haven't stalked double figure brown trout with dry fly in a small feeder stream then gone out in a boat to troll for trout on rotorua for your lunch then back up the streams again then you haven't lived(er that quote will only apply to people who fly fish). Awesome fishing, awesome scenery and great tasting trout. Lots of them too. The best fishing is where it doesn't smell too. :cool: Perhaps the trout hate the smell as well? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You visited quite a few places when you were here K didn't you? How long did you stay for?

Don't worry MEB, The earthquake and volcano thing's a big source of banter between my mate and me. He wants to be Barry Crump when he grows up. :D We've spent a lot of time fishing mainly in the Sounds. He'd just got rid of his pig dogs before I got to know him so I haven't been out hunting although my son went on a pig hunt with a mate of his. I just got him into fly fishing so next time I'm down we'll be looking for trout.

I've been coming to NZ, (six times) since 1999 although I did go between the Islands in '74 sailing from Taiwan to Geelong. As you say a bach with a view of the Pacific around £20K at that time and the buck at 3.65 to the pound, I used to go home with change :D I should have bought but family circumstances prevailed.

We were there last year stayed for 6 weeks and toured staying mostly in cottages and farmstays. The best one was in the bush about 6 metres above water level on the Marlborough Sound, no road in just the water taxi or a steep hike. We enjoyed Tutukaka and should have spent more time. My wife tried really hard to get a picture of a Tui on the acacia flowers there but never succeeded. So we'll probably come back but I think I'd find a way to leave the hire car and fly to Wellington rather than drive down the North Island again. That road up from Auckland isn't so good :shock:

I've fished Taupo area a few times but not Rotorua. I brushed up on Kiwi fly fishing techniques the last time and had more success, particularly on the South Island around Wanaka and Hawea. So maybe next year at this time, if Gordon Brown doesn’t rob us again, we’ll be there.

Latest posts

Back