Oats

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewStew

Regular.
Reaction score
i've never used oats in a brew. can you use any kind of oats? say, Quaker porridge oats :lol: or does it have to be a special kind found only in brewshops :wha:

Most rolled oats will do.
I've just bought Tesco's own porridge oats for an oatmeal stout that I'm going to be brewing this week.
You may find toasting them in the oven adds a nice touch to the taste of the finished beer.

Just to backup Vossy, I use the cheapest oats I can find in the supermarket. ;)

I throw a little bit into pale ales as I think it adds a little bit of depth to the flavour

thanks guys :cool:

methinks i'll be trying this in the next incarnation of TaRd to see how it differs :thumb:

Don't use too much or it glues your mash and sets like ...er ...porridge...! Seriously it really does. 10-20 % max. Not just a set mash but a completely blocked mash. :eek:

Aleman said:
Oats are for horses :sick:

I am sorry everyone but as a Scotsman I am reclaiming the word "Oats" as a postmodern reflection of the current national identity sweeping through Northern Britain (I got the last bit from Gordon Brown who I thought was Scottish).

So, be warned, if you feel the need to "dis" the Oat you will not just be a cerealist but also a racist against those who prefer an oat based breakfast. Not to mention those who have occasionally enjoyed a flapjack (often with a cinimon latte).

:D

Oats are good for breakfast. Never tried them in beer so can't comment. As for that scottish twaddle? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jings Ahl be readin the Broons and shoutin Frredom in a fake Aussie accent in a meenit or twa

Having had Oats rammed down my throat in its wallpaper paste form over a number of years I have to say its only true use should be for making beer and cattlefeed.
Caol Ila, Bunnahanbhain, talisker and even white Makay or 60/- and 80/- now ther's a heritage worth whipping out the national identity for.

BrewStew said:
i've never used oats in a brew. can you use any kind of oats? say, Quaker porridge oats :lol: or does it have to be a special kind found only in brewshops :wha:

Just avoid the steal cut oats, they are not that common but the starch has not been gelentinised in them

Dunfie said:
Aleman said:

I am sorry everyone but as a Scotsman I am reclaiming the word "Oats" as a postmodern reflection of the current national identity sweeping through Northern Britain (I got the last bit from Gordon Brown who I thought was Scottish).

So, be warned, if you feel the need to "dis" the Oat you will not just be a cerealist but also a racist against those who prefer an oat based breakfast. Not to mention those who have occasionally enjoyed a flapjack (often with a cinimon latte).

I thought Gordon Brown was Scottish too but the way in which his accent has changed in the last couple of years :wha: makes me think he wants to identify with the mainland. Perhaps when he's lived the dream, (our nightmare) of leadership he'll return to his homeland and re-acquant himself with this national dish.

Kingfisher said:
Dunfie said:
Aleman said:

I thought Gordon Brown was Scottish too but the way in which his accent has changed in the last couple of years :wha: makes me think he wants to identify with the mainland. Perhaps when he's lived the dream, (our nightmare) of leadership he'll return to his homeland and re-acquant himself with this national dish.

Or perhaps he'll just shoot himself and do us all a favour...

Had a taste of the Sweepings Ale I did the other week which included 0.5k of malted oats. It has a much fuller flavour than my others. All I can say if you ain't tried them don't knock them.

Latest posts

Back