At a complete stop.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classman45

Reaction score
I started my mead just over a week ago and it started plopping along in the air lock. After like two days it stopped. I guess it wasn't warm enough in my wardrobe. So I took it over my mother's house due to it being warmer.

Checked it with my hydromiter and it is showing that the sugar levels have dropped. I noticed as it predicted alcohol was 13 to start and as I checked again it was down to 12. So obviously some of the sugar has fermented.

So i gently warmed it back up to around 18c and whiped the **** out of it to 're oxygenate it to start fermentation.

It still is doing nothing after three days. Does this mean I need to put another sachet of yeast in? I'm using lalvin d47.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've had similar results by using cheap honey, ferments about 1 percent then dies. Yet to have this problem with any other batch of mead, I'm guessing the processing of the honey destroys it in some way. Or it could just be a stuck fermentation, from a number of reasons.

Adding more yeast or nutrient will be unlikely to work until you fix the problem that stopped the reaction in the first place, the most common reasons being temperature control, or bacterial infection.

Did you add plenty of nutrient?
Honey is seriously lacking in many of the trace elements needed for a healthy fermentation...

I sterilized all with a mild bleach solution and thoroughly rinsed off to make sure no residue was left behind. I'm sure it's the temp issue that has caused the issue. And I having actually used any nutrients I was told throwing a handful of raisins would cover it. Have I used bad information if so how can I erect the issue?

Temperature spikes can easily kill off the yeast. Adding Raisins will add some tannins, but you'll struggle to ferment honey without adding yeast nutrient.

If I was you I'd start again, siphon off the layer of sediment (if there is one) add nutrient and more yeast and keep an eye on the temperature to see if the same thing happens, if so then you know it's not the temperature that's the issue.

Temperatures vary from yeast to yeast, at this time of year room temp is enough for me, keeping a consistent temperature is what you need to watch out for, heating and cooling puts strain on the yeast and will produce off flavours, if not kill off the yeast altogether. Make sure it's between 20-25C when you add the yeast, or lower if your packet says so.

Okay so remove a layer? Floating or if there is bottom sedement? If there isn't any layer just go on like I would if I was just starting out? Any tips on what additives to put in with it, I'm new to this and didn't do research on them as I was told not to worry haha. Thanks for the

Don't worry about removing the bottom layer, better to get it out but it won't do any harm if left in.

Diamonium phosphate (DAP), sold as yeast nutrient in most places

Don't worry about removing the bottom layer, better to get it out but it won't do any harm if left in.

Diamonium phosphate (DAP), sold as yeast nutrient in most places
So for the hopeful fix. Should I add the dap in the must and leave it to see if it works or activate another pack of yeast with the dap in the water?

So for the hopeful fix. Should I add the dap in the must and leave it to see if it works or activate another pack of yeast with the dap in the water?

Worth a shot, it might be enough to kick it to life, you could always add the yeast afterwords if it doesn't cause any reaction to start.

Okay I will try that way first. Don't want to overlode it with yeast and get a funky taste.

By any chance were the raisins treated with potassium sorbate. They may have been if you bought an edible pack, rather than packs for cooking.

I'm not sure. They are eating packs so I would have thought so.

Also I bought yeast enigizer and used as specified on the box and it is nearly complete in fermenting. I did have a taste and it's salty as hell. I think the box instructions are wrong. Will this salty flavour dissipate over time when ageing or have I killed my batch?

Back