Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Discussions > How long ahould we be storing our red kit wines for?

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 17-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Applesnmore

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wish I could offer some science on the subject, but alas not.
The guy at my local HBS recons basic kits are at their best at 3 months, and don't improve beyond.
In my limited experience I have found that to be true.
Equally I bought some €6 wine in Auchan - Les Grappes du Paradis 2010 at Easter 2015. Was great. Kept 2 bottles back til Christmas and they were terrible.
Equally I made a cc shiraz last year and I really liked it young. As it's matured, it has lost a lot of the fruity notes I liked.
So, my take home message was, aging changes the wine. If it tastes good young, drink it. Hold a couple back and see what like when there older. If it's harsh, keep and let it mellow.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

DJ1 YOUNG'S Definative Blackberry
DJ2 Muntons Cabernet Sauvignon
DJ3 Beaverdale Rojo Tinto
DJ4 California Connoisseur Merlot
DJ5 California Connoisseur Pinot Noir
DJ6 Wine buddy Merlot
DJ7 BetterBrew Cabernet Sauvignon
DJ8 BetterBrew Shiraz Merlot

FV1 California Connoisseur Cabernet Merlot
FV2 California Connoisseur Malbec
FV3 California Connoisseur Nebbiolo
FV4 Winebuddy Cab Sav+Young's Elderberry

Old 17-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Vinotinto

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applesnmore View Post
I wish I could offer some science on the subject, but alas not.
The guy at my local HBS recons basic kits are at their best at 3 months, and don't improve beyond.
In my limited experience I have found that to be true.
Equally I bought some €6 wine in Auchan - Les Grappes du Paradis 2010 at Easter 2015. Was great. Kept 2 bottles back til Christmas and they were terrible.
Equally I made a cc shiraz last year and I really liked it young. As it's matured, it has lost a lot of the fruity notes I liked.
So, my take home message was, aging changes the wine. If it tastes good young, drink it. Hold a couple back and see what like when there older. If it's harsh, keep and let it mellow.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Makes a lot of sense.

Old 21-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #13
jojorose

I also am looking into aging. Not just for kits. I used to make wine twenty years ago and then started again this year. Back then you could get kits and they were supposedly drinkable quite quickly. Im currently drinking a Black Cherry Wine Kit and its like cheap spanish at the moment so have put the other bottles on hold for a couple more months.

What puzzles me is my home brew used to have to sit for at least a year, but i just took a plum wine recipe and it says you can drink as soon as its cleared????
Drinking: BlackCherry Youngs wine kit and Tom Caxtons Best Bitter
Drunk: Geordie Yorkshire Bitter.

Old 22-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #14
Fin420

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it's a red and reads drinks within a year, it's probably been conditioning for at least 2/3 before it was bottled.

In the winery where I work we condition whites for one year before bottling, reds/roses for 2/3 years, and kinda the same we don't recommend they are kept for decades because they weren't designed as a 'great' wine.
needmorstuf Likes This 
Old 25-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
Dexter101

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 48

First proper post! As a homebrewing newbie I can't offer any guidance on kits.

However from my knowledge of wine in general, its not so much how the wine is made but also the type of wine it is that will affect when its best to drink. I remember seeing graphs of different wine types and when they are good to drink. Some take a very long time to get to their "best" and then drop off a cliff, others are very quick to reach their best but then take a good few more years until they are past their best. Traditionally french Bordeaux wines that you see going for crazy money, age well due to the type of wine it is and develop or adapt flavours that suit what the drinker wants. A fresh white wine won't age well because you want freshness as after a few more years, that has mellowed. If you can store the wine in a stable environment, my best guess would be to compare it to a bottle of commercial wine of the same type and see what ages that is on the shelves. For example, its easy to find a bottle of Rioja on most supermarket shelves at the moment from 2012. Most white wines on the shelves will probably be 2016.

Not sure if that's any use but i am looking forward to keeping bottles back from batches to see how well they age!
110ben Likes This