Mulled/Spiced Cider - best way to flavour?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz3376

Reaction score
Im looking to do a cider for xmas with some winter spices in it. What is the best way to flavour it? Add spices while it ferments or after? Was thinking i could make a flavoured stock using some apple juice and let the spices mull in there and then reduce the liquid and add to the finished cider before i bottle it, would that be better?

I can only explain how I brewed this Cerveza and Pumpkin Beer last year ...

Started 12th November 2016
2kg of pumpkin sliced, boiled, blended with 4tsp of All Spice & strained.
Added to Wilco Cerveza Kit with 400g of brewing sugar.

It was a lovely beer but there was only the very hint of All Spice flavour remaining by the time I got around to drinking it.

In view of this, when I repeat the brew this year I will look at adding the All Spice when I bottle the brew, in the same manner that I add Hop Tea.

I'm hoping that this will increase the "Christmassy" flavour when it's time to drink the brew, but how it will affect carbonation and clearing will be in he lap of the Gods! :whistle:

Best of luck. :thumb:

I used the mulled wine tea bags in my Xmas beer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've tried to make mulled turbo cider (sparkling), but for some reason it never really tastes right without the sweetness, which is obviously difficult without it wanting to ferment the sugar out. Haven't tried using sweetner tho, maybe some stevia would help when bottling.

Warm mulled turbo cider is great on Xmas morning tho. [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back